+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which LP are you using for demoing your turntable?

I'm shahrin.

Some great recommendations earlier in the thread. Thank you all as i ve discovered some great music eg Love - Forever Changes

Supertramps s B fast in America - a revelation . Pulled mine out a '79 UK pressing. prob never been played on a half decent hifi, and never been played for 30 yrs. washed it. Lo n behold, nostalgic and sonically superb,
    so i agree with eralier recommendation.
    Bob Marley - Kaya - UK pressing '77 - invoked early stoned days - and great sound too
    and the big surprise is
    Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band - from the much maligned movie of the mid 70s - featuring the Bee Gees, Frampton, Sandy Farina(great voice), George Burns also Aerosmith, Earth Wind n Fire (Got to get u into my
    life - wow!), credits include Larry Carlton. I was given this local (Malaysian ) pressing that i tossed to one side. Well its the huge
    surprise. Enjoyable and a super pressing.
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Phil.

'The First day' - David Sylvian/Robert Fripp

'Cupid & Psyche '85' - Scritti Politti

'Strangeitude' - Ozric Tentacles

'Music Has The Right To Children' - Boards Of Canada

'Gnayse' - Bola

'Leftism' - Leftfield

'Song For My Father' - Horace Silver Quintet

'Armed Forces' - Elvis Costello (MFSL remaster)

'Working With Fire & Steel' - China Crisis

'Maiden Voyage' - Herbie Hancock

'Future 2 Future' - Herbie Hancock

'Time Out' - Dave Brubek

'Seeds Of Love' - Tears For Fears (MFSL remaster)

'100 Days Off' - Underworld

'Journey Inwards' - LTJ Bukem

I'm Nick.

the Specials, More Specials.

It's all a load of bollocks.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    London Grammar, If You Wait 2x 45rpm.

+1 for the Hugh Masekela
    +1 for London Grammar, especially last track, side D.

+1 for Hugh Masekela

Also the Gregory Porter Liquid Spirit

and Yellow, The Race, x45 12" single

An Invitation to Windham Hill x33(various artists) Direct Metal Mastering.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Thanks, you've whetted my appetite as well. I don't think I have that LP (I have "Land of the Midnight Sun"). Time to start digging through the used LP crates...
    Finally managed to get my hands on Dimeola's "Elegant Gypsy". Believe it or not, I found a mint copy in a $1.00 used LPs bin! Not only is the LP mint, the record sleeves (both inner and outer) are brand new! Who would give such perfect copy away for a buck?

On to the music on that record: is it just me, or was Dimeola a much better player back in the '70s than he is today? Much more fire, elegance, passion, grace in his playing back then. He sounds quite sedated when playing today; must be the old age catching up with good old Al

My biggest gripe with that record is Anthony Jackson's bass playing. Jackson seems stuck on the higher strings on his bass guitar, barely ever venturing below 200 Hz territory. That contributes to the somewhat wimpy sound that lacks cojones (I also don't dig Jackson's metallic bass tone at all). Dimeola would've definitely benefited on that album had he hired his old bandmate Stanley Clarke.

Of course, the highlight of that record (and of Dimeola's entire career) is "Lady of Rome, Sister of Brazil" -- sadly a very short track, but I could play it and replay it forever. The most gorgeous guitar playing imaginable.
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 27-04-2017 at 17:55.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    This is a good thread - more LPs to buy!
    No this is a bad thread - more LP's to buy!

I'm Al.

Default Sara K

There is one LP that stands out from all the rest I own in a demo. It's a direct cut by a German company (Stockfisch) and it is the best I have ever heard from a production point of view.

Sara K - "Waterfalls"

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunluce978 View Post
    There is one LP that stands out from all the rest I own in a demo. It's a direct cut by a German company (Stockfisch) and it is the best I have ever heard from a production point of view.

Sara K - "Waterfalls"
    That is a good one... double disc from metal master.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Just bought a copy of Peter Gabriel's "So" - 180gm, half speed remaster. Amazing. Shows how good a modern pressing can be. I'll be using this to show off my set-up from now on. Stylus goes down, usual small "thunk" as it drops into the groove, then . . . complete silence until the music kicks in ("Red Rain" on side 1). All for £15 from the HMV shop when I was in town - and it's a long time since I bought anything from them!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789