+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supex SD-900 Super Moving Coil Cartridge

I'm jamie.

Default Supex SD-900 Super Moving Coil Cartridge

hi all,ive just bought one to use with the mission 774,it seemed a good idea since i believe mission had their cartridges made by supex for them.
    i also think the shape of the cartridge suits the arm much better than the 2m black does.
    only 1 downside is it will need a re-tip soon.
    whats your thoughts? good match? whats the supex sound like?
    cheers
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jez.

They were considered de rigueur for use with an LP12 in the bad old days... but you probably knew that... along with the Grace G-707 arm. Linn were the UK Grace importers at the time but I'm not sure if they also handled Supex.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Back in the '70s they were almost de rigur when it came to high end systems in this country. Much of this was as a result of excesive 'hype' by Linn who imported them at the time, and recommended their use in a Grace 707 arm.

Notwithstanding all the hype, the Supex (especially the long-bodied version of the SD 900) is a very good cartridge, and I would have thought your Mission 774 would be an excellent carrier. The late Sugano (of Koetsu fame) was involved in the development of the SD 900, but it was not his design.

If you need to have the Supex re-tipped soon, I sugest you have a word with Dominic of North West Audio. He hold the SD 900 in high regard.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oops - a near perfect echo!
    Barry

I'm Ian.

I've had a couple of the Supex SD900 cartridges over the years and enjoyed them immensely. One of those components with charm rather than outright resolution but none the worse for that. I used to use it in this arm - one of those items I should never have got rid of

Re load impedance the Supex likes between 2 to 20 ohms and can sound a bit dull even at 100 ohms.

I'm jamie.

cool,thanks for the info you 3
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

anymore info chaps?
    im thinking about either a paratracer tip from expert stylus or a Fritz Geiger from North West Audio.
    all assuming the cartridge is tip top.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    anymore info chaps?
    im thinking about either a paratracer tip from expert stylus or a Fritz Geiger from North West Audio.
    all assuming the cartridge is tip top.

Don't go near the Paratrace. It has its fans I guess but others (including me) hate them, one reason why you see so many 'freshly retipped' cartridges going straight up for sale after arriving back from Expert. The Geiger tip would be a better option. But don't rush into this, I would have it inspected and run it on the original tip for as long as it's sensible to do so. J7 at AudioOrigami can advise.

In general, it's my experience that a retipped Supex 900 or 901 (I've owned several and had a couple retipped) will never live up to the original (in the same way as Koetsu's generally don't, with only very rare exceptions), also prices have gone a bit silly latterly by association as second hand Koetsus have gone from £500-ish to close to double that. More than a couple of hundred for a Supex 900 is not sensible in this context although the sheelpe on ebay seem to have collectively decided otherwise.

Funnily enough the Supex 900 is also in my experience somewhat happier in a more-massy arm (your Alphason may be just a tad light for it to give its best - you could try adding a bit of mass and see what you think) which of course is not what Linn were saying back in the day as the Grace is very far from a high-mass arm. But then again there was so much bollox talked by and about Linn back in the 70s that no-one should be surprised about anything.

(I bought an LP12 in 1982 with my very first pay packet - or rather, the credit card I got along with my very first pay packet - and kept it for over 20 years so I was just as much a Linn fan boy back then as anyone ... I was gutted when I finally, belatedly sat down to listen to a well sorted Townshend Rock ...).

I'm Ian.

Re Expert Stylus, I had a Zu Denon 103 fitted with a paratrace and sapphire cantilever and it was exceptionally good. I also know plenty of other folk who have been very happy with Expert's workmanship. Main problem is long, long waiting times.

I'm jamie.

cheers tom,very interesting,i bought this to use on my 774 arm so perhaps a bad choice,also i didnt realise they didn't sound the same after a retip,i never had one done to be fair.

it may go straight back again then at this rate lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast