+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firebottle OTP Phono Stage

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You dont need bags of experience to know when something sounds great. Thats the best bit.
    Definitely. Ears are the most reliable tools. Reviews, opinions and specs can only tell you so much.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Definitely. Ears are the most reliable tools. Reviews, opinions and specs can only tell you so much.
    Spot on.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Alphason HR100 MCS > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Oliver.

Ferociously testing multiple types of Capacitors for the next incarnation of the FB-OTP and the upgrade pack.

Ive had to buy a headphone amp to please the Wife. Listening to the same song 10 times in a row does get on peoples nerves lol. Seems that the most expensive capacitors aren't always the best sounding!!

Its amazing how different they all sound.

Next: Opamps

More to follow!
    Last edited by Bigman80; 24-05-2017 at 17:01.
    Alphason HR100 MCS > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ferociously testing multiple types of Capacitors for the next incarnation of the FB-OTP and the upgrade pack.

Ive had to buy a headphone amp to please the Wife. Listening to the same song 10 times in a row does get on peoples nerves lol. Seems that the most expensive capacitors aren't always the best sounding!!

Its amazing how different they all sound.

Next: Opamps

More to follow!
    Make sure you give each type a decent time to not just burn in but for your ears to adjust. I went through lots when I was making my own cross overs. I eventually went for a combination which I never thought I would do. Combinations also set a different playing field so try and do it methodically. I'm sure you are though 😁

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Preamplifier: Croft Epoch Elite - Dual external PSU & Upgrades
    Amplifier: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp No. 5 using KT150's
    Digital: Raspberry Pi & ALLO Piano DAC & KALI - IQAudio DAC with SBooster Linear BOBW PSU & Trio DP700 CDP
    Turntable: Thorens TD124 MkII - Schopper refurbished
    Tonearm: SME 3009 S2 None Improved - Audio Origami modified
    Cartridge: Ortofon SPU GT
    Speakers: 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds in Lockwood Majors with Tannoyista Spec 3 crossovers
    Cables/Mains: Mark Grant Black Series mains cables & 6-Way power bar
    Cables/IC's: Mark Grant HDX1 Pure Copper + Custom made Silver/Gold interconnects
    Mains Other: Tube Distinctions/Mark Grant 'The Power Works' Digital noise mains power filter TD2414-MG - Nick Gorham DC Blocker unit constructed by Mark Grant

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Make sure you give each type a decent time to not just burn in but for your ears to adjust. I went through lots when I was making my own cross overs. I eventually went for a combination which I never thought I would do. Combinations also set a different playing field so try and do it methodically. I'm sure you are though 😁

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Thats a good shout, Josie. I am looking for further option as there are many to look at. Thankfully, someone informed me of some other to try so they will be on the purchase list soon!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234