+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At a shop near you (Soon)

I'm Paul.

Default At a shop near you (Soon)

Some more low quality bandwagon jumping soon to be at a shop near you

https://www.aldi.co.uk/retro-turntab...74768114380400

Still at least the price is better than this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6149721
    Last edited by Paul-H; 11-03-2017 at 14:02.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Aldi linky no worky!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

I like the Aldi one, very clever design to look like a plate with knife and fork, should not look out of
    place in anybodies kitchen, love it, but what is the price ?

Sorry couldn't resist it
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I like the Aldi one, very clever design to look like a plate with knife and fork, should not look out of
    place in anybodies kitchen, love it, but what is the price ?

Sorry couldn't resist it

I know they are not exactly the best when it comes to turntables but, if it gets people back into buying the vinyl format its a good thing Not everyone can afford thousands of pounds on audio so it fills a gap in the market. Though I wouldn't touch one myself I think it proves the format is back in vogue in a big way.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Paul.

Aldi link fixed

Interesting that it's battery powered and has an SD card slot for your MP3 files.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

RothwellAudio Guest

I've wondered how many people who are buying these low end turntables will become interested in hi-fi and start to buy more serious gear. So far it looks like not very many but maybe it's early days in the vinyl revival.

I'm Bob.

I'm not sure about this. I haven't heard either the ALDI offering nor the Argos, so am speculating BUT..........

I wonder how many buyers will be enthused by the hype over vinyl, go buy one and possibly a few supermarket LP's and then sit there listening and wonder why it doesn't quite sound like they were led to believe? To get the best from vinyl you have to invest time in it, time to set it up, time to LISTEN and time to get up and keep changing or flipping the disc.

I listen to CD's, FLAC streamed music files and Hi Res downloads, but nothing matches a well recorded vinyl disc played when I can set a few hours aside and just relax into the music (actually some of the Hi Res stuff comes pretty close but it's still not the same). But vinyl demands effort.

Think of vinyl as plug 'n' play and you'll be lucky to get the return you expected.

That won't stop some treating vinyl like a curiosity.
    Last edited by bob4333; 16-03-2017 at 09:09.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Alan.

They are all plastic. The performance of the deck is going to be, frankly ....shite.

I looked at a Sony separates system awhile back, the amp, tuner and CDP were of commendable quality and performance (once I'd raised the speakers off the floor ), but the record deck was all plastic and abysmal.

Why a better unit hadn't been included heaven knows, so I sold the guy a better TT and he was happy.

I'm Adam.

These things can't be used for playing records! People will buy them as novelty shite,
    it won't lead anyone on the path to better gear. It's just bandwagon junk

They may as well punch you in the mouth at the checkout and take the money out your wallet.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread