+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

blackstar Guest

Well, one oil must promote minimal to no drag and remove any opportunity for metal on metal contact - especially in soft metals - and the other must retain it's cooling and lubricating properties over a wide spectrum of temperatures and pressures, taking into account movement and expansion/contraction of multiple moving parts. Putting the wrong oil in one can be as potentially damaging as the other; the value of the bike is neither here nor there.
    Not sure why you are getting so excited about the whole thing....the function of oil in one is totally different to the other. Use the right oil or the wrong oil and either win or lose....it's only a grands worth of turntable after all.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Look, I know that Nottingham Analogue market the stuff at around thirty quid for a few mills but thirty quid could buy me five litres of engine oil. Are Nottingham Analogue just taking the piss...? I am currently using sewing machine oil which I don't think is viscous enough. Does anyone have any thoughts...?
    Had a thought Shaun. Ask them exactly what the oil is? After all you would not bung oil in your car or gearbox without knowing what it was.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

You may find that they do not want to divulge the details.
    Origin Live would not tell me what the oil was they were selling.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Shaun.

So, back to the original point. For what these turntable manufacturers are charging us, are they taking the piss...? I get the impression they are and I also get the impression that not a massive amount of thought and laboratory work has gone into the formulation.

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Had a thought Shaun. Ask them exactly what the oil is? After all you would not bung oil in your car or gearbox without knowing what it was.
    I totally agree. You might be surprised; they might just say...

I'm James.

Worth a try....? You might find they don't know what it is either which would be more worrying!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Nathan.

I have a bottle of the Original Nottingham Analouge oil which came with my Interspace if you would like to try it? It's going to last me years anyway so I'm more than happy to send it to you so you can test against the other oils?

Send me a PM of your address and I'll pop it in the post tomorrow afternoon.

I'm Shaun.

Nathan, you have a PM

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Worth a try....? You might find they don't know what it is either which would be more worrying!

I'm Dave.

Many, many years ago, I spent the best part of a day with Tom Fletcher (The Nottingham Analogue designer) trying various oils and combinations of oils in Nottingham Analogue turntables. This was a right PITA as the bearings needed to be sucked dry and wiped out before a different oil could be poured in. As anyone who owns a Notts TT will confirm, the platter takes anything up to 30 minutes to sink back down once separated from the bearing, so it's a time consuming job. The oil favoured by all listeners was the one used and supplied from then on by Nottingham Analogue but I have no idea of the composition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast