+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

I'm jamie.

out of interest what grade oil?
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-1700, direct drive turntable, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Shaun.

Jamie, it is a pretty standard 15W-40 grade of oil that is recommended for engines with average wear and tear. It apparently has quite a few additives though to cut down on further wear.
    Marantz CD6005 into Audiolab MDAC
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace turntable with Origin Live Onyx tonearm/Denon DL103/Dynavector P75 MkIII phono stage

Prima Luna Prologue preamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp/EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Atlas Hyper interconnects
    Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired cables

Mainly electronica and modern jazz/funk

I'm jamie.

cool,i like your way of thinking
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-1700, direct drive turntable, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Geoff.

I find engine oil too thin and use EP80/90 gear oil with a drop of STP. Have done for forty years with no issues.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I find engine oil too thin and use EP80/90 gear oil with a drop of STP. Have done for forty years with no issues.
    Bet that's cheaper than 1000/Ltr!
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    in what way do you mean too thin geoff?

I'm Geoff.

I like an oil that has the thickness (viscosity) to keep a film all around the bearing even when the spindle is not rotating. Lets face it, unless you use oil so thick as to cause excessive drag, surely the thicker the better?
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm jamie.

yep i take your point,i just keep thinking though that surely if an oil designed to lubricate a cars big end shells then thats gotta be more than adequate for a turntables bearing and sleeve?

I'm GettingFunky.

Obviously, car has an oil pump that makes the oil circulate under pressure.
    Choosing the right grade and quality of oil for a turntable bearing could be tricky. Then think about the anti-soot additives etc. and you may be better of getting the (most likely) single grade oil specified for the job.

Gearbox oil does sound like a much better proposition.
    Kevin

Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Techne-Audio modified DL-103/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU).
    Pioneer PD-S703.
    Battery powered Beresford Caiman II.
    Firebottle KIN fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Firebottle Monoblocks fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters.
    Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650.
    DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects.
    Talk cable 3 speaker cable.
    Neotech hybrid mains cables from MCRU
    Power Inspired AG1500

I'm Geoff.

I have no figures, but as big ends have a far greater surface area to a TT main bearing, I'd not be surprised if the loading per area is not very different, although the forces in a TT bearing can be angular to the axis.
    Mr. Tact!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast