+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

I'm Shaun.

Default Oil Change

Look, I know that Nottingham Analogue market the stuff at around thirty quid for a few mills but thirty quid could buy me five litres of engine oil. Are Nottingham Analogue just taking the piss...? I am currently using sewing machine oil which I don't think is viscous enough. Does anyone have any thoughts...?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Look, I know that Nottingham Analogue market the stuff at around thirty quid for a few mills but thirty quid could buy me five litres of engine oil. Are Nottingham Analogue just taking the piss...? I am currently using sewing machine oil which I don't think is viscous enough. Does anyone have any thoughts...?
    Yep that is taking the piss.

Try this stuff, I use it on my VPI bearing and it works very well indeed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Origin-Turn.../dp/B007Y3Y0B6
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

I have some of the Audio Origami stuff. The kit has everything you need and enough oil for at least two changes.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

blackstar Guest

Have you spoken to NAS direct? They are not in the business of taking the piss, and are the most helpful company I have dealt with in ages. Speak to Penny and she'll no doubt sort you out at a lot cheaper than the hi-fi shops.

From reading various threads on oiling TTs, not all oil is equal. Some use sewing machine oil and others use heavier grade oils, and they do make a difference for one reason or another.

I'm Dave.

Oils make a big difference to the performance of a decent turntable. The Notts turntables use a combination of different oils to get the performance the way they like it and no, it's not sewing machine oil but a lot thicker.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    Have you spoken to NAS direct? They are not in the business of taking the piss, and are the most helpful company I have dealt with in ages. Speak to Penny and she'll no doubt sort you out at a lot cheaper than the hi-fi shops.

From reading various threads on oiling TTs, not all oil is equal. Some use sewing machine oil and others use heavier grade oils, and they do make a difference for one reason or another.
    So £1000 per litre is reasonable for oil??
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So £1000 per litre is reasonable for oil??
    No, but i am pretty sure the OP hasn't asked NAS direct, rather a hifi shop which adds a pretty sizeable mark up.

Also, I'm sure 1L of oil would last every NAS user into the year 2400.

I am mixing oils to have proper (according to me) viscosity. It took me some time to get proportions right. I'm using ptfe oils . The ones i was able to find at the local store were either to thick or too thin. Tw raven turntable so oil is just spread over the bearing not poured inside. Also cleaning bearing and gentle polish every oil change. Normally every 6 months. The stuff i use cost like 9 eur per can and i am using this for other issues like squicky stairs. The second one more fancy and very thin. If for turntable only i think it will last longer than expiration date i think with all bearings when new and tolerances are very high you shoul use thin oil later you need to provide thicker layer as bearing shaft is slightly deteriorating. As long as it sounds right i am not too crazy about it.

I'm Shaun.

OK guys, thank's for your input. I have changed the sewing machine oil to an expensive engine oil and things are so far much better. There is no drag with the higher viscosity, the platter settling and rotating just fine. In fact, the whole rotation of the platter just appears better and quieter. Haven't listened for any sonics yet.

I'm Shaun.

These days I don't hold Nottingham Analogue with the same high regard I used to when Tom Fletcher was at the helm so no, I haven't contacted N/A.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast