Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have some of the Audio Origami stuff. The kit has everything you need and enough oil for at least two changes.
    Audio Origami PTFE booster. They do a thick versions as well. Details on the AO website
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mel.

Oil threads always seem to generate loads of comments and most seem to be around engine or gearbox oils - probably as they are cheap and readily available.

Most oil companies have identified the many uses to which oil is put and have a solution for it without any further mixing work by ourselves and they don't cost £1000's per litre like the small files supplied by HiFi dealers.

However, don't forget such dealers don't sell a great deal of oil and need a profit from it. Most of us think nothing about spending £100's on bits of goo and cheap (to make) metal spikes for our systems so why moan about a much smaller amount for oil which is much more critical to our expensive decks.

However, for the more frugal amongst us why not consider the actual design and use to which the oil is put. I think Cagey may have mentioned the word 'spindle' in an earlier post and that possibly gives a clue to the oil type needed. Engineering shops have many machines with revolving spindles and the oil companies have many grades which are a better bet than motor oils. Try looking at something like Mobil Velocite oil probably No6 ? - I have a feeling it is a common oil found in small files which are sold for a lot of money. The main thing is to ensure the additives do not affect the plastic bits (Peek, etc) found in some bearings. The spindle oil is also cheap to but and not difficult to find.

Mel

I'm Shaun.

Given the UK retail markup of halving it and adding VAT, your five mills of oil is actually worth less than fifteen quid plus a little bit of VAT. Now I don't know about you but even fifteen quid is shite steep for five mills of mineral oil. Had it been highly expensive synthetic oil we would be nearer the mark. I used to pay out a bloody fortune for synthetic oil for my Ducati's but I as sure as hell am not doing it for a bloody turntable. As the man has already stated, it's only a bloody turntable and a secondhand one at that...!

blackstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Given the UK retail markup of halving it and adding VAT, your five mills of oil is actually worth less than fifteen quid plus a little bit of VAT. Now I don't know about you but even fifteen quid is shite steep for five mills of mineral oil. Had it been highly expensive synthetic oil we would be nearer the mark. I used to pay out a bloody fortune for synthetic oil for my Ducati's but I as sure as hell am not doing it for a bloody turntable. As the man has already stated, it's only a bloody turntable and a secondhand one at that...!
    You could say it's only a bike.

I'm jamie.

Yep but it's under a damn site more stress than a piddley bear bearing is it not?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

blackstar Guest

So motor oil must be brilliant in a TT then? It's a little more complicated than that.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    You could say it's only a bike.
    You could indeed but thirteen grands worth of bike does not tally the same as one grands worth of turntable.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    So motor oil must be brilliant in a TT then? It's a little more complicated than that.
    I agree, motor oil is pure overkill in a turntable.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Yep but it's under a damn site more stress than a piddley bear bearing is it not?
    Ducati engines rev to around seven and a half thousand rpm. Slightly different to your average turntable no doubt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast