+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time-up for MQA

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    If MQA is supposed to be for streaming, what is its purpose as far CD reproduction is concerned?
    Sounds like they're trying to do some sort of newer 'sacd' format whereas it will play in all CD players as standard redbook, but then hook it up to an MQA capable DAC and you'll get a higher resolution and all other gobbledygook.

Really hope this doesn't become the standard. We already have 16/44 redbook which is perfectly fine and for lossless & higher-res we already have Flac which has been around for many years and is fine. This all just smells of a money grab to me, they'd make a killing just on licensing costs around the world. Can never trust the big labels to give a damn other than to line their own pockets.

I'm Simon.

It's not worth it for me, nor hi res really as there isn't much out there in decent hi bit rate formats for new music anyway. Formats are rubbish against the bits that do the sound in speakers and amps, and frankly these can yield much bigger benefits than worrying if you have or haven't got the latest kit to decode mqa or dacs to do it etc.
    Speakers : PMC Twenty5 23's

Cyrus Gear : DAC XP Signature / PSX-R, Mono X200 Signatures, Stream X Signature, CD-T transport

Chord Cables : Signature Tuned Array XLR, Epic Reference Speaker Cable, Anthem tuned array and Clearway digital coaxial

I'm Neil.

You'd think that proprietary digital formats would've gotten the hint by now. SACD did. HDCD did. DVD-A did. MQA will fail simply because it'll never become a defacto standard. Doubtful that DSD will either despite the massive push after SACD has failed. IMHO the major push will be towards 24/96 files, which in itself is contentious.
    Mana Acoustics Racks >> Custom Silent Media Server >> Halide Bridge USB (with AQVOX USB power) >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    You'd think that proprietary digital formats would've gotten the hint by now. SACD did. HDCD did. DVD-A did. MQA will fail simply because it'll never become a defacto standard. Doubtful that DSD will either despite the massive push after SACD has failed. IMHO the major push will be towards 24/96 files, which in itself is contentious.
    Contentious because a lot of 24/96 doesn't sound any better than 16 bit.
    Last edited by Jimbo; Yesterday at 07:21.
    VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T Tonearm / 2M Black /Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Spendor SP2

I'm Jerry.

Ha!
    So Golden Ears* Justin user211 was right when he said he could hear no difference with MQA.
    And all those folks who trotted out with 'major hike in sq" - it was just down to expectation bias.
    Sweet.

--
    * Actually, not really Golden Ears, just totally honest with himself. Not a guy who goes in for self-delusion
    Last edited by jandl100; Yesterday at 07:28.
    Jerry

Main systems:
    Spotify Premium streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. Alternating amp setups: Nobsound NS-02G power amp & Philips Black Tulip 270 pre / Philips 380 power amp. Speakers: MBL 116F. Atratus3 i/c & Western Electric 16GA spkr cables. Missing Link Cryo Ref and Nordost Magus power cables

Headphones: AKG 551, JBL Synchros S700, B&O H6, PSB M4U-1,Beyerdynamic DT-150, B&O Form 2 & 2a B&O U70, and Sony XBA-H1 & SoundMagic E10 IEM headphones

2nd system: Pioneer DVD transport, Rotel RP-3000 tt / Goldring Eroica LX, Audiolab MDAC, Philips 370 power amp, Klegg Symphony 102 speakers

I'm Alan.

Doesn't the technical spec actually show that it degenerates to an equivalent of 17 bits due to using the lower bits to 'fold in' the extra bit depth?

Sweet indeed Jerry

I'm Martin.

That won't make a blind bit of difference to the sound though. The only USP I can see is the so called 'digital deblurring' which would seem to be some form of eq. People reporting tighter bass and a cleaner sound overall, but only on some recordings. I'm guessing this is similar to what they do to old music when used on film soundtracks, just dial in a bit of extra punch. Not very purist of course.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12