+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on this Pro-Ject music streamer DSA?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pretty much.. its not got a screen. its just an etched front. Then onnection can be mini optical for a dac or 35mm(headphone size) audio jack as the unit has a dac in it(a fairly decent one). How they do it for £30 and less is unknown. if you wish you can plug headphones straight into it, as I used to before getting the mini dac/headphone amp. volume will be controlled by the smartphone. You could use it with a pc, if you were running an app that had cast, or through the chrome web browser which obviously has it, and cast all things from your pc too should you wish. They do get hottish, but apparently thats normal. I sit mine in the phone holster which acts as a heatsink of sorts and it runs cooler. I use mine a good few hrs a day, unless I have the pc on when I run a sb cable through to the same dac, and listen to any msic I own on flac via headphones.
    I have one in main system but it doesnt see an awful lot of use. in fact my main system doesnt as im addicted to this setup.

Nothing really to lose at that price. if you want to use it into a dac you would need a mini optical to optical cable, otherwise a 3.5 mm to twin rca will do.
    I've got a few Toslink optical cables, but have not seen a mini optical? I'm sure they've got it on eBay. It sounds like much of the work is being done on the smartphone? Not just a remote? I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it rolling!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    I feel your pain and confusion! I can see folks are trying to be helpful, but for me this thread reads an agenda for a Silicone Valley trade conference.

I was curious about augmenting my traditional hi-fi sources with access to digital streams/radio/ computer-based files and what-have-you. I was at someone's home, and they were using a Squeezebox Touch linked into their hi-fi. It looked simple and fun, so I tracked one down, bought it and, guess what ... it simple and fun!

I use it connected into the input of a tuner/receiver in the kitchen, allowing me to toggle between my conventional terrestrial radio stations and a mind-boggling choice of internet radio stations at the push of a button. The Squeezebox does in fact have its own on-board DAC so you can simply run its analogue output straight into an amplifier. It also has an optical and a digital co-axial "out" so you could run it via a "better" offboard DAC if you wanted. The touchscreen interface is simplicity itself to operate and for the most part is very intuitive. There are a range of downloadable apps on the "mysqueezebox" website to enhance the functionality of the unit and permit direct connections to internet-based streaming services. I'm still trying to work-out how to use the "podcast" one, though (yes, that's how bad I am with digital technology!)

All in all, though, it's a great little package and simply opens up a world of interesting radio stations, even if you don't want to take it any further. It goes without saying, too, that you can also set it up to play digital files from your computer or phone via a wireless router connection. You can also plug in a USB stick or slot-in a memory card. Very versatile and straightforward. And cheap!

I'm sorry I don't have any experience of the Pro-ject Streaming Box that you mention in your opening post, so I can't help you there. But I just wanted to provide a bit of encouragement: don't give-up or be put-off by a seemingly steep learning curve. The Squeezebox at least doesn't require much digital expertise, and is very rewarding. Good luck with your journey!
    IB
    Thanks Gary, that was most helpful. eBay sent me an email ad for the Squeezebox, around $600. And its even got a tiny video screen on the remote. A nice looking piece for sure. Sounds like the Squeezebox and the Project are very similar devices, except for that video oh the remote, but of course you can never tell which is best unless you've got both in front of you. While I may start with the super affordable Chromecast device, if I think I'm going to stick with it, then I will be upgrading to a unit like the Squeezebox or Project Streamer. I like the idea of a full featured rack sized piece of gear that looks like real stereo. With the coax digital out, doesn't tie up your phone or PC, sounds like a powerful machine.

I studied computers in college! I got a computer Sciences degree in college and was Valedictorian! First in a class of 300! And worked my way up to managing the whole computer department for a $4 billion dollar company! I was known for being able to fix anything, but that was nearly 15 years ago, and now I've forgotten more than most will ever know about computers. I should be able to grasp this stuff with ease! But a lot has changed in 15 years, that's a lifetime in computers. Hopefully once I get my hands dirty it will come back to me.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Thanks Gary, that was most helpful. eBay sent me an email ad for the Squeezebox, around $600. And its even got a tiny video screen on the remote. A nice looking piece for sure. Sounds like the Squeezebox and the Project are very similar devices, except for that video oh the remote, but of course you can never tell which is best unless you've got both in front of you. While I may start with the super affordable Chromecast device, if I think I'm going to stick with it, then I will be upgrading to a unit like the Squeezebox or Project Streamer. I like the idea of a full featured rack sized piece of gear that looks like real stereo. With the coax digital out, doesn't tie up your phone or PC, sounds like a powerful machine.

I studied computers in college! I got a computer Sciences degree in college and was Valedictorian! First in a class of 300! And worked my way up to managing the whole computer department for a $4 billion dollar company! I was known for being able to fix anything, but that was nearly 15 years ago, and now I've forgotten more than most will ever know about computers. I should be able to grasp this stuff with ease! But a lot has changed in 15 years, that's a lifetime in computers. Hopefully once I get my hands dirty it will come back to me.

FYI piCorePlayer is 'Squeezebox' for a raspberry pi, I run a mixture of 2 Pi's, 1 SB classic, 1 SB Boom, and an SB Touch on my main system...Squeezeboxes and pis running 'Squeezelite' all work in harmony, and are at their best when the server component (LMS or Logitech Media Server) is deployed on a separate server (pi or NAS).

P.S. I'd done 15 years in IT by Y2K, and that doesn't include my degree...still at it now
    Cheers, Will

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

Just so you know, the chromecast audio doesn't tie up your phone. Once you have set the music playing you can use your phone for receiving or making calls, searching the web or even turn it off. It just acts as a remote which is why it is so much better (for me at least) than Bluetooth. Others may prefer a full server jobbie but if you are only using it for Spotify etc then I can't see any reason to look beyond the chromecast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123