+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IME you tell people 'You can't do that' they just get resentful and may do it anyway just to spite you.
    If it's done for what is justifiably perceived as the greater good of all, some folks need to learn to do what they're told, and like it, by those with the authority to boss them

I have no time for pig-headed idiots with an irrational resentment of authority, together with an innate desire, regardless of the consequences to others, to do what they like, when they like.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

I picked drink-driving as that is a generally-acknowledged example of where social pressure succeeded where legislation did not. IME you tell people 'You can't do that' they just get resentful and may do it anyway just to spite you. If they don't do it because they personally feel it is wrong then everybody is happy.
    And I think you need both; gentle persuasion for sensible people, backed up with laws and stiff penalties for 'less sensible' people. Anyone whose thought processes run 'Those bastards want to stop me drinking and driving; I'll down 10 pints of beer and drive at 90mph just to spite them' is probably not long for this world anyway.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If it's done for what is justifiably perceived as the greater good of all, some folks need to learn to do what they're told, and like it, by those with the authority to tell them such

I have no time for pig-headed idiots with an irrational resentment of authority and an innate desire, regardless of the consequences to others, to do what they like, when they like.

Marco.
    'It's for the greater good' has been used as an excuse for many of the abominations in history. Reminds me of that other quote, 'Only the most intelligent of men can understand so evil a philosophy.'

And who decides who is the authority and whose version of morality is the right one? Ultimately there is only one authority and that is physical force. So are we going to use physical force with those who won't 'do as they are told'.

'Now we see the violence inherent in the system! Come on everyone, come and see the violence inherent in the system!'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

Wrong to think in terms of figures IMO, much more sensible to think in terms of ratios.

If the minimum wage had increased at the same rate as the pay of FTSE100 directors in the same period (since the introduction of the minimum wage) it would now be worth ~£16ph. Have the FTSE directors really added so much more value than their staff in that period? Absolute figures are a bum steer, ratios are all that matters.

That said it's fair to say that it's not the gap between have a have-not that's the issue, globally the very poorest have (on average) been lifted by neo-liberalism in the past 30 years, it's the gap between have and have-yachts that's been stretching out (and that's why we're seeing more unrest in the global-north, the global-south has seen benefits).

And who decides who is the authority and whose version of morality is the right one?
    Whoever makes the law obviously has the authority to impose it, and those who don't obey it, face the consequences. Simples! That's how civilised society works.

I'm not saying that those who make the rules are always right, far from it, but anyone who thinks that being spiteful and opposing the law, for the sake of 'acting awkward', and considers that as justifiable behaviour, needs a good kick up the arse and a rude introduction to the real world!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Could you please answer this, from earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not at all. I think the point I'm making is pretty clear, unless you condone money being earned illegally from the likes of child trafficking, slavery or pedophilia, all of which right now are making some of the super-rich, even richer!

So are you saying that they should be allowed to keep that money?
    Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Do poor people really care that there is an increasing gap between them and the super-rich? That someone can afford a 100 ft yacht whilst they are struggling to keep their 10 year old Fiat Punto on the road? IME no, they really don't care, they don't even think about it. Only the educated middle classes think that this matters.

They might care if they were getting poorer at the expense of the super-rich, but they are not so there isn't really an issue unless you are of the mentality that says 'If we can't all have 100 ft yachts then no-one should have one.'

I've never understood that outlook, personally. I'm glad that there are people who have 100 ft yachts even though I will never have one. The same applies to high end hi-fi.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

They might care if they were getting poorer at the expense of the super-rich, but they are not so there isn't really an issue unless you are of the mentality that says 'If we can't all have 100 ft yachts then no-one should have one.'
    Lol.... You still don't get it, do you?

I'm the very last person to begrudge anyone their (legally earned) wealth, within reason.

To use your example above, own a 100ft yacht, by all means, two even, perhaps even three, if it floats your boat (no pun intended), but no-one *needs* 100 x 100ft yachts, or rather more accurately, that much disposable income, especially when it's been earned both illegally and immorally, as I outlined earlier, whilst there are others in the world who don't even have a roof over their heads or the wherewithal to feed their children.

That's fundamentally WRONG, on all levels, and obscene - and something needs done about it. I've already said what I would do, so have no intention of repeating myself for you to miss the point again, or twist it to suit your counter argument.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Alas, No advance in wealth, no softening of manners, no reform or revolution has ever brought human equality a millimeter nearer.
    Can we change? Well, as much as Star Trek said we will, it is probably going to remain sifi fiction.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Marc.

Do poor people really care that there is an increasing gap between them and the super-rich? That someone can afford a 100 ft yacht whilst they are struggling to keep their 10 year old Fiat Punto on the road? IME no, they really don't care, they don't even think about it. Only the educated middle classes think that this matters.
    'JAMS' are not 'the poor' folk who live in the global-south are poor. Potentially, if they had chance to stop worrying about where their next meal came from, or if their kid was going to succumb to easily preventable sickness ('there's some lovely filth over here') they might take form a positive view of the yacht owner but they might also view them as absurd. ('King? I didn't vote for him')

From herein I propose that if your argument can't be illuminated via Python quotes it is inadmissible to the debate ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast