+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm Kevin.

If I won the lottery, I would arrange (several) home demonstrations of high end systems to compare with what I have.
    It would be a lot of fun....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    1% of the world population owns nearly as much wealth as the other 99% worldwide. Its a disgraceful state of affairs in 21st century, and can only end in disaster.
    1+ It is indeed a disgrace that we still havn't found a way to distribute wealth more evenly.

To the subject. I tend to agree that buying x-end hifi second hand is the best way to go. But then, some folk want new equipment. Good for them. It gives us second-handers a better price and more choice.

I'm Adrian.

I think there is a difference between rich and super rich. I agree that wealthy people (a couple of million) still tend to have one foot in the same world as the rest of us. But the super rich live on a different planet. I've mixed with them and they wouldn't drink a bottle of wine for less than 5k. Different ballgame, different mentality. A few million in the back is nothing special - but I'd like it!
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I think there is a difference between rich and super rich. I agree that wealthy people (a couple of million) still tend to have one foot in the same world as the rest of us. But the super rich live on a different planet. I've mixed with them and they wouldn't drink a bottle of wine for less than 5k. Different ballgame, different mentality. A few million in the back is nothing special - but I'd like it!
    Haha, yes it's different, all right - truly pathetic! What vulgar and pretentious snobs they are [said as someone who consumes and knows all about fine wine].

Honestly, such folk are beyond risible, almost pitiable. For them, it's all about portraying an image (I suspect often due to self-esteem issues). And yes, it's the 'super rich' I was referring to earlier, with more wealth than they know what to do with.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richie.

We are super rich to some...

I'm Russell.

I've been on other forums that are just full of snobs. Asking if something is worth the money will bring the wrath upon you, as they insinuate that if you can't afford it, then this is not the hobby for you!

But I fall into the category that has built my system over many years, and right now, every single piece is used! Audio depreciates so well that I can't imagine buying new. My system is state of the art! Or, it was 20 years ago! Surely people were not listening to garbage back then? I've got about 1/3rd to 1/4th of their new prices invested.

But there most certainly is a certain level of audio that is reserved for millionaires. I am simply shocked at the number of speakers that sell new for $50,000 and over. Literally too many to count.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    We are super rich to some...
    Absolutely. Many of us in the west can't grasp just how true that is.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I've been on other forums that are just full of snobs. Asking if something is worth the money will bring the wrath upon you, as they insinuate that if you can't afford it, then this is not the hobby for you!
    Well, not here. That's the very antithesis of the AoS ethos; in fact I'd go as far to say that we actively discourage those sorts from joining! They also wouldn't last very long if they were here.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, not here. That's the very antithesis of the AoS ethos; in fact I'd go as far to say that we actively discourage those sorts from joining! They also wouldn't last very long if they were here.

Marco.
    That's why I love it here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Like others here,
    I have built up the system I now have over many years, I consider myself fortunate [not rich] to have been able to build biggest part of it myself.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast