+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm Grant.

1% of the world population owns nearly as much wealth as the other 99% worldwide. Its a disgraceful state of affairs in 21st century, and can only end in disaster.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.1- CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - PIONEER DV717 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. - PIONEER SA8100 AMPLIFIER. - WIN10 JRIVER21, SPOTIFY - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST AUDIO DONGLE POWERED BY BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - CARTS.. AT95S, SHURE M55E, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PURAV.

I'm Adrian.

I think it's subjective. If money were not a problem I might spend 150 quid on a fuse or 20k on an interconnect simply because it's pocket change - but that doesn't mean it's actually any better sonically than a 200 quid interconnect. Buying second hand and using ones intelligence means even ordinary folk like me can buy well chosen hi end pieces where it counts.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah I see... We're talking about 1% of the world's richest population. Yes, it is a truly disgraceful statistic.

If it were up to me, I'd bring in a law that forces the world's multiple millionaires and billionaires to forfeit a chuck of their fortunes, and use the total sum accrued to end homelessness and famine.

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Paul.

I am not envious that 1% have he same wealth as 99% of the population. Envy, jealousy, anger even, are all reactions best left out in the cold where they belong. My family is my wealth, and no-one else has that but me. I count myself fortunate to live in the relatively peaceful west, have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my stomach. To be able to walk outside without fear of persecution, to have health, to have purpose. These are the real riches of the world.

On the hifi front, judging by the gallery here, a surprising number of people on this forum are in the "High ed hifi club" including myself. As Marco says, it's something done over a period of years, not all at once, and the intention is seldom to own such kit for bragging rights (there are exceptions...) but because it sounds good. I don't care what others listen to or own. I'm just grateful that I and my family enjoy the musical fruits of what we have, and always have done since humble beginnings.

I'm Martin.

It isn't a 21st century phenomenon. it has always been the case. Check out the amount of country mansions in this country built 1500 to 1800, costing hundreds of millions in today's money, and the poor people were a lot poorer back then.

I can never get with the idea of wealthy people demanding wealth re-distribution, It is always someone else's wealth they want re-distributed, they never think it would affect them. Whereas if we were really to whack it all out evenly we would all have to be poor. Relatively, anyway.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    If money were not a problem I might spend 150 quid on a fuse or 20k on an interconnect simply because it's pocket change...
    You see, I don't buy that mentality. Being wealthy shouldn't automatically divorce you of common sense or the desire to obtain value for money. In fact, the most wealthy people I know are such because they're as tight as gnat's arse...

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if I won The National Lottery this week, I wouldn't overnight lose the common sense and values I've held dearly for the previous 51 years and 7 months of my existence...

So those 20k interconnects would still be considered as ludicrous nonsense, fit only for vulgar spendthrifts and show-off merchants, and left left well alone!

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You see, I don't buy that mentality. Being wealthy shouldn't automatically divorce you of common sense or the desire to obtain value for the money you spend. In fact, the most wealthy people I know are such because they're as tight as gnat's arse...

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if I won The National Lottery this week, I wouldn't overnight lose the common sense and values I've held dearly for the previous 51 years and 7 months of my existence... So those 20k interconnects would still be considered as ludicrous nonsense, and left left well alone!

Marco.
    +1

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG Tonearm > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Fisual Hollywood Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It isn't a 21st century phenomenon. it has always been the case. Check out the amount of country mansions in this country built 1500 to 1800, costing hundreds of millions in today's money, and the poor people were a lot poorer back then.

I can never get with the idea of wealthy people demanding wealth re-distribution, It is always someone else's wealth they want re-distributed, they never think it would affect them. Whereas if we were really to whack it all out evenly we would all have to be poor. Relatively, anyway.
    Not saying its a modern thing. Quite the opposite, and it should have been stopped, but of course turkeys dont vote for xmas, and the truely rich control the politicians and lawmakers etc. Nothing has changed. Rich folk start wars and poor folk fight them, was always the way it went and is probably still same today.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.1- CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - PIONEER DV717 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. - PIONEER SA8100 AMPLIFIER. - WIN10 JRIVER21, SPOTIFY - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST AUDIO DONGLE POWERED BY BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - CARTS.. AT95S, SHURE M55E, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PURAV.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It isn't a 21st century phenomenon. it has always been the case.
    Indeed so, but that doesn't make it right. And the fact is, it *could* be eradicated.

I'm talking purely about those who have multiple millions (and more) of pounds/dollars that is simply excess to requirements, just lying in bank accounts doing nothing, or tied up in assets, which could be sold.

It's disgraceful that those concerned simply hoard it for the sake of 'feeling good about themselves', or whatever, whilst millions around the world starve and have no roof over their heads.

Yes, that shameful GREED has gone on since time and memorial, but that doesn't make it right - and I'm all for fighting for what's right and just in this selfish and corrupt world we live in.

Marco.

My system:

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not saying its a modern thing. Quite the opposite, and it should have been stopped, but of course turkeys dont vote for xmas, and the truely rich control the politicians and lawmakers etc. Nothing has changed. Rich folk start wars and poor folk fight them, was always the way it went and is probably still same today.
    Exactly, and it's truly sickening. Don't get me started, though, on one of my hobbyhorses!!

Marco.

My system:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast