+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

RothwellAudio Guest

There's some interesting stuff in this thread, but some of it doesn't make any sense - literally. Take as an example "'JAMS' are not 'the poor' folk who live in the global-south are poor". Even after applying Rothchild's translation we only get "Hard working families are not "the poor" folk who live in the 3rd world are poor". Eh?

Or how about "...admittedly it applies to consumerism in which we are encouraged to buy loads of crap, rather than the greater tyrannies of the politics of history". Yes, consumers buy crap - they don't buy the greater tyrannies of the politics of history, maybe because they can't find a shop that sells them. Or have I misunderstood?

I'm Martin.

1) Humans are noble and perfect creatures sadly corrupted by the work of a few evil people.

Or 2) we are just a bunch of complete f**K-ups who will believe any bollocks we are told if it feels right to us and are capable unconciously of lying to ourselves and others about what fine and upstanding people we are without a shred of self doubt; leading to slavery, the holocaust (you think the Nazis knew they were evil but did it anyway?), and a thousand wars and revolutions, and this will never change.

I'm going with option 2.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

I'm not sure how it could be much clearer? Sure, out of context it's a bit clunky but there is a thread here not just an individual post.

Martin, I wasn't suggesting you didn't understand the difference between relative and absolute poverty, it was just that at that point in the discussion it seemed that absolute poverty was the more pertinent version and your 'punto driver' was an easily available shorthand to explain to Marco what I was on about.

What I'm getting at more generally is there are more people in 'The 1%' that one might be given to think and that actually there may be quite a number of people who (thanks to our generally high living standards) we wouldn't think are in this club who actually are (even if they can't drop £50k on hifi).

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I'm going with option 2.
    Unfortunately you're probably right

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I'm not sure how it could be much clearer? Sure, out of context it's a bit clunky but there is a thread here not just an individual post.

Martin, I wasn't suggesting you didn't understand the difference between relative and absolute poverty, it was just that at that point in the discussion it seemed that absolute poverty was the more pertinent version and your 'punto driver' was an easily available shorthand to explain to Marco what I was on about.

What I'm getting at more generally is there are more people in 'The 1%' that one might be given to think and that actually there may be quite a number of people who (thanks to our generally high living standards) we wouldn't think are in this club who actually are (even if they can't drop £50k on hifi).
    Well true, I have met some pretty well educated people to whom it had not occurred that despite with what they considered to be their modest salary and home were actually amongst the top 1% or possibly top 0.1% of the wealthiest people in the world.

You show them the stats and you can see from their faces and body language what a surprise this is to them and also that it clearly makes them feel uncomfortable. No-one wants to think they are actually part of the wealthy elite causing all the world suffering that they wring their hands over.

They see themselves as underdogs, fighting against the uneven distribution of wealth and the tyranny of the rich when the fact is that without the existing system of tyranny and wealth distribution their lives would be massively worse.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    1) Humans are noble and perfect creatures sadly corrupted by the work of a few evil people.

Or 2) we are just a bunch of complete f**K-ups who will believe any bollocks we are told if it feels right to us and are capable unconciously of lying to ourselves and others about what fine and upstanding people we are without a shred of self doubt; leading to slavery, the holocaust (you think the Nazis knew they were evil but did it anyway?), and a thousand wars and revolutions, and this will never change.

I'm going with option 2.
    Sadly option 2
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a reference to my post (#111) or not, but I'll assume it is and offer some possible clarification.

'JAMS' are not 'the poor' folk who live in the global-south are poor = unclear.

'JAMS' are not 'the poor'. Folk who live in the global-south are poor = clear.

All it takes is a full stop and a capital letter and the whole thing is changed. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being pedantic but I'm just asking to people consider the benefits of writing sentences that make sense. After all, we're on a forum and the written word is our only form of communication (apart from pictures and links to videos and diagrams etc., etc. )

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Sadly option 2
    It is depressing isn't it? Way I look at it is that whilst I may be indirectly culpable it is only because I was lucky enough to be born in a specific place and time where I get to have it relatively easy. I can sit here on paid holiday talking bollocks on the internet while someone else is needlessly dying on the street in Calcutta.

In that context getting angry or upset that some people who got even luckier can afford a £50K hi fi or a Porsche when I can't seems a little absurd.

In the end all I can do is try my best not to be a complete bastard all of the time. I try to make that my contribution
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    What we have now is capitalism, and its use to allow greed by those running large 'empires' to exploit the masses by the means above. This is in some ways worse because it has the appearance of free will laissez faire transactions, when in fact, the most insidious psychology is used to incite purchases.
    Ain't that the truth! You've just earned the title of 'Captain Insightful' Wear the badge with pride

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a reference to my post (#111) or not, but I'll assume it is and offer some possible clarification.

'JAMS' are not 'the poor' folk who live in the global-south are poor = unclear.

'JAMS' are not 'the poor'. Folk who live in the global-south are poor = clear.

All it takes is a full stop and a capital letter and the whole thing is changed. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being pedantic but I'm just asking to people consider the benefits of writing sentences that make sense. After all, we're on a forum and the written word is our only form of communication (apart from pictures and links to videos and diagrams etc., etc. )
    Ahh, apologies.

Must. Punctuate. More.

;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast