+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    'JAMS' are not 'the poor' folk who live in the global-south are poor.
    Sorry, Marc. I haven't a clue what that sentence was supposed to mean?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, Marc. I haven't a clue what that sentence was supposed to mean?

Marco.
    JAM = 'Just About Managing' the current government's preferred version of 'hard working families' (or in as Macca put it, the person trying to keep a 10yr old punto on the road')

'Global-South' - generally a consensus has emerged / is emerging to use this term rather than '3rd world' or 'developing world' as there are issues with both those naming conventions.

What I'm saying is that Martin's description of someone who struggles to keep a 10yr old punto on the road as being 'poor' is wrong, by a matter of degree, whilst they are relatively poor in a wealthy nation, like the UK, they are rich beyond belief compared to those living in the slums of the global south, who endure absolute poverty (rather than just relative poverty).

For every wrong thing he's done or said Frankie Boyle nailed it with this:

"There has to be something wrong with a world where the best employment option for a farmer in sub-Saharan Africa isn’t being a farmer in sub-Saharan Africa, but crossing the Mediterranean on a punctured lilo, only to spend days dangling under a lorry so that he can end up selling lollipops in a nightclub toilet."

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ha - love it (and very apt)!

Thanks for the explanation. That's the problem with using political buzzwords, only those with an interest in such would recognise.. It's all a foreign lingo to me!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    What I'm saying is that Martin's description of someone who struggles to keep a 10yr old punto on the road as being 'poor' is wrong, by a matter of degree, whilst they are relatively poor in a wealthy nation, like the UK, they are rich beyond belief compared to those living in the slums of the global south, who endure absolute poverty (rather than just relative poverty).
    Obviously there was a context to my example of 'poor'. I am aware of absolute poverty. No matter what anyone says there are no easy answers to that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Obviously there was a context to my example of 'poor'. I am aware of absolute poverty. No matter what anyone says there are no easy answers to that.
    Never the less there are answers.

I'm Dennis.

I think that greed as a trait can be to a great extent attributed to Freud's nephew Edward Bernhays, the founder of Public Relations.

His declared aim was to get people to buy things on the basis of 'want' rather than 'need'.

His psychology was used to persuade people to smoke cigarettes, particularly women, for whom it became a symbol of emancipation.

Looking at TV ads. it is apparent that depictions of things are usually in very unrealistic contexts, so they seem to me to be using his principles.

I bet many here have ended up with a desire for a piece of Hi-Fi which has been implanted by images and concepts rather than auditory evaluation, I know that I have, and later regretted my mistake.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I think that greed as a trait can be to a great extent attributed to Freud's nephew Edward Bernhays, the founder of Public Relations.
    I don't think so. Historically, there has been greed as far back as human history extends. Comparatively recently the 'clearances' suffered by the crofters in Scotland two hundred or so years ago, were driven purely by greed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't think so. Historically, there has been greed as far back as human history extends. Comparatively recently the 'clearances' suffered by the crofters in Scotland two hundred or so years ago, were driven purely by greed.
    Not to mention the plundering of whole continents and the enslavement and/or murder of millions of their native inhabitants.

I'm Grant.

There has always been greed to a point, but mostly as a means to power, which is the real riches folk seek. (an not the obvious type now)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I still think that point valid, but admittedly it applies to consumerism in which we are encouraged to buy loads of crap, rather than the greater tyrannies of the politics of history.

I agree with you Walpurgis regarding history, but now we do not invade and take over countries as we did in the past; Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, and of course the British Empire.

What we have now is capitalism, and its use to allow greed by those running large 'empires' to exploit the masses by the means above. This is in some ways worse because it has the appearance of free will laissez faire transactions, when in fact, the most insidious psychology is used to incite purchases.
    Last edited by Pharos; 17-03-2017 at 10:15. Reason: Addition

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast