+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm Grant.

Well house of lords get up to £300 a day attendance allowance for going to work which means a short walk for all the ones who live in London. Go every day and youve got a nice income...thats just for starters.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm Martin.

There are only 100 hereditary peers in the HoL.

Queen is independently wealthy plus they get income from the Duchys of Lancaster and Cornwall.

Upkeep of Royal palaces is paid for from taxes, but you could argue they belong to the nation.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well house of lords get up to £300 a day attendance allowance for going to work which means a short walk for all the ones who live in London. Go every day and youve got a nice income...thats just for starters.
    I think applying the term "going to work", in their context, is being more than a little generous!

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Queen is independently wealthy plus they get income from the Duchys of Lancaster and Cornwall.
    What about all the Barons, Baronesses, Marquises, Earls, etc: chinless wonders no-one has ever heard of, who do hee-haw of any real significance... How do they exist financially, and who pays for it?

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What about all the Barons, Baronesses, Marquises, Earls, etc: chinless wonders no-one has ever heard of, who do hee-haw of any real significance... How do they exist financially, and who pays for it?

Marco.
    The great wealth of the aristocracy was wiped out (along with many of its sons) by WWI and the huge death duties they had to pay. WWII finished off the job. Many of them are relatively poor; a lot of 'stately homes' belong to the National Trust, and the aristocrats are there only as tenants. Others opened their estates to the public, and have safari parks and other visitor attractions to help pay for the running of the estate. Some have made money by selling off land, or have become wealthy through their occupations, but very few of the aristocracy are anywhere near 'super-rich'.

If we're going to be all Marxist-Leninist, then why not go the whole hog? Confiscate all second homes, BTL properties, savings above a certain relatively modest level, expensive gizmos, raise the top rate of tax to 99%. and impose it on all income above £50,000 a year.

Nope, not necessary. The best/most successful solutions for anything generally exist in the middle of all extremes. Hi-fi's like that, too.

There are good and bad points about all political 'solutions'. Even communism has its place. The key, if it were possible, is to marry all the best bits and create the fairest and most equal division of wealth for all.

However, as I said before, that doesn't mean 'standardising' everything. There will always legitimately be some with rather more than others. The key, though, is to ensure that the current 'have nots', have something, and get a fairer share of the pie, worthy of them living a life fit for a human being

Marco.

My system:

Nah, confiscate the BTL homes I say!

I'm Dennis.

Another 'doing well' sector of society is the local Government people in upper echelons, who with evident lack of ability rake in high pay and very luxurious pensions, just by 'being there'.

A very large Telecoms company which we all know, also has immense numbers of mediocre people in highly paid management positions, way above the salaries of many who have studied for years and who work hard.

We cannot say that much is justly apportioned, let alone meritocratic.

I'm sure that an agreement could be arrived at with regard to a new paradigm of politics, but we are all polarised into a position of self protection because of the predatory nature of society as it is.

BTW one Lord left his taxi engine running whilst he signed in for the day, and immediately after signing left in it.

All that may be true, but a) none of the people you describe come anywhere near super-rich and b) they are all within the PAYE system, so will not be able to evade/avoid paying tax. Unpaid tax is mostly a problem related to large multinational corporations who play the system so that they pay minimal tax in countries in which they have a major presence. Wrt to individuals, it is mostly about people in the banking/finance sector, who make huge amounts of money, and who are adept at shifting it about to ensure taxation is minimal. Getting all het up about the aristocracy, or local government officials, however highly paid, is swallowing a camel whilst straining at a gnat.

The trouble is, addressing these problems is complex. Force the tax-avoiding large companies to pay their 'fair share' of taxes risks them moving their operations elsewhere, with consequent job losses here. The super-rich can live anywhere in the world; they probably own properties in several countries. You could force them out of the UK by, for example, scrutinising their wealth ever more closely, but how would that benefit the UK economy?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    local Government people in upper echelons, who with evident lack of ability rake in high pay
    Where did you get that from? There may well be a few 'wastes of space' amongst them, but I worked in local authority for a great many years and although I didn't necessarily see eye to eye with those in senior posts. I met many very clever and capable people.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast