+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Whoever makes the law obviously has the authority to impose it, and those who don't obey it, face the consequences. Simples! That's how civilised society works.

Marco.
    Ergo Trump's travel ban is the height of civilisation?

('Some watery bint handing out scimitars isn't the basis for effective goverment...')

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... You still don't get it, do you?

I'm the very last person to begrudge anyone their (legally earned) wealth, within reason.

To use your example above, own a 100ft yacht, by all means, two even, perhaps even three, if it floats your boat (no pun intended), but no-one *needs* 100 x 100ft yachts, or rather more accurately, that much disposable income, especially when it's been earned both illegally and immorally, as I outlined earlier, whilst there are others in the world who don't even have a roof over their heads or the wherewithal to feed their children.

That's fundamentally WRONG, on all levels, and something needs done about it. I've already said what I would do, so have no intention of repeating myself for you to miss the point again, or twist it to suit your counter argument.

Marco.
    Your assuming that was in response to something you wrote but it wasn't I was just speaking generally. I agree with you that immoral or illegal earnings should not be kept but given that no-one disputes this and that there are laws in place I don't really understand what you are arguing about?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Several factors lead to the current malaise of a divided-wealth society.

Lack of opportunity, which I feel I have had for psychological reasons in my early formation; family 'script', constant belittlement and irresponsible parents who put there own narcissism first.

in the 70s when blitzed out with fellow hippies in my bedsit, we would all sit around listening to that great music full of revolution, and which many here may now regard as classic stuff. Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and much other rebellious prog. rock.

I modelled that I wanted to be able in a room of say 12 people, to be able when we had purchased a cake, to divide it into 12 and also be able to trust all not to be greedy thieves; I wanted to be able to go out and know that when I came back my piece was still there.

But what happens is, someone takes two pieces, and then another sees this, and thinks "I'd better take mine - no two pieces". A third onlooking can see that he has to be wary, and then grabs three, and the pattern extends; before long there s nothing left and seven people have no cake.

Doesn't society seem to be a little like this, the polarisation through fear, causing greed?

The obscenity of 100 yachts also incurs a stupidity; we can only be in one place at any given time, and we can only drive one car at a time.

What do we do when we have eaten at all the best restaurants? Had all the most beautiful ladies, (if that is your style of living), have numerous luxury houses all over the world; have the best in everything? Where is there to go from there?

One option is to ostentaciously parade one's wealth, and I think that is happening all the time, even at a much lower financial status, and I see it all around me in my town, even with a medium Merc., or BMW. The attitude reveals all.

With our Hi-Fi we enjoy the pursuit and the resulting progress, and for me that represents achievement, an irreplaceable satisfaction. Isn't this how humanity can best fulfil itself, by application to progress on all areas to improve the human predicament?

I'm Robert.

I actually dont have any problem with wealth and admire people who have come good - the jealousy that sometimes results from that is plain lame,
    I mean we all aspire to a level of comfort and being able to do the things we enjoy.
    I'm glad for folk who have done well, good on them. Never had what you'd call a lot so I aspire to that comfortable level where financial pressures are no longer a worry, where I can help my children a bit more, surprise my wife who deserves more of those occasional nice things, help people out etc and hope it happens for most of us one day maybe.
    But there's wealth and greed which are two completely different things.
    We are called so to speak to give back, to help the poor needy and so, it is absolutely right and good to do so.
    BUT as has been expressed it is just wrong to have a world that has the so called most intelligent creature - made in Gods own image
    allowing an existence where some have obscene amounts of wealth, self indulgence and an abundance of 'play things' whilst so many starve and live in poverty. There's a point where 'that certain type' and existence equates to gluttony.

A very simplistic view and obviously not a fresh one but still very true and sad in my opinion.
    The 'I'm alright jack' mindset has to be changed from every level too - far easier said than done though unfortunately

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Your assuming that was in response to something you wrote but it wasn't I was just speaking generally. I agree with you that immoral or illegal earnings should not be kept but given that no-one disputes this and that there are laws in place I don't really understand what you are arguing about?
    Because the current laws clearly aren't doing enough to stop the vermin concerned (not the super-rich who've earned their money via just and legal means) from coining it in!!

Something rather more radical and hard-hitting needs to be done to target corruption and remove those guilty of such of the illegal and immoral fortunes they've amassed - and distribute the money instead to those around the world who so desperately need it.

Got it now, or is the message still failing to penetrate?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    But there's wealth and greed which are two completely different things.
    Absolutely. I have no problem with wealth (within reason), but utterly abhor greed for wealth and power [a rather different thing], as it's been responsible, over many centuries, for creating war and division.

I will also always champion what I consider is right and fair, and whenever equality is justly deserved, which brings me neatly onto the (inevitable) forthcoming Scottish referendum, and after years of unjust control and oppression from Westminster, the Scottish people finally getting what is rightly theirs....

No we'll not go there now!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I modelled that I wanted to be able in a room of say 12 people, to be able when we had purchased a cake, to divide it into 12 and also be able to trust all not to be greedy thieves; I wanted to be able to go out and know that when I came back my piece was still there.

But what happens is, someone takes two pieces, and then another sees this, and thinks "I'd better take mine - no two pieces". A third onlooking can see that he has to be wary, and then grabs three, and the pattern extends; before long there s nothing left and seven people have no cake.

Doesn't society seem to be a little like this, the polarisation through fear, causing greed?
    In a nutshell, yes [and nicely put], although sadly it's also often a case of greed, for greed's sake.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Ergo Trump's travel ban is the height of civilisation?
    Nope, and I despise what that man stands for and the division and hatred he's creating. Like I said, not all laws are just, and those that aren't should be fought, but neither is the attitude of 'fuck you, I'll do what I like', acceptable either.

Folk need to learn not just to think about looking after No1, but instead how their actions impact on others - and that mantra needs rolling out on a global scale!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Food banks for British families in work is a mild form of the same obscenity as that of people dying of starvation whilst we here are dying of over eating.
    Another rather astute comment, Dennis

That state of affairs is both shameful and an utter disgrace.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Chris.

But a whole group of extremely wealthy has escaped the forums radar, namely those
    who have extreme wealth but do not enjoy it at all. Rather share portfolios are chosen
    where their money wreaks havoc on the poor, and causes the most damage to the planet.
    Share portfolios are in gambling industries, mining in third world countries, unrenewable
    resources.

Do they ever do anything with their wealth to make their own lives better ... No
    rather they die seemingly happy seeing the misery they silently have created,

Like an inability to argue verbally then asserted silently by their chosen others, to win that
    argument for them no matter what.

This video shows South Australia's premier on the left bringing many issues of concern
    to the federal representative but packaged into one very neatly.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-1...ulated/8360354

See the reaction of the person on the right not arguing back with reference to the above description
    Simply because everything is in place already to cause the most damage to the planet.
    Ask yourself what is the sense of Submarines in 2017 when starving millions are dying

In this case hopeless agenda using taxpayers money... even worse.
    To keep right up to date with all issues see https://www.theguardian.com/profile/...og-on-the-moon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast