+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shahinian speakers

I'm Steve.

Default Shahinian speakers

What are folks experience and feelings on these, specifically compasses and Arcs?

I'm Phil.

never heard them but they seem to arouse a lot of love . absolutely loads come up for sale from folks perhaps upgrading
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

now I just log into pfm after reading this thread and here you go !!

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=199509
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    now I just log into pfm after reading this thread and here you go !!

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=199509
    He moved from SBL's to Shahinians. No wonder he likes them, the SBL's are ghastly! (sorry SBL fans, but I really don't like them)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I heard a pair of the Obelisks at Phonography about fifteen years ago, and thought they were very good. They were driven by some Dynavector solid-state amps, which certainly gave the current drive needed to make them sing. In a high-ceilinged room, they projected a really impressive sound. I was told that they sold well to people with larger and 'odd-shaped' rooms. My recollection is that they were lively and dynamic .... more 'naim' than 'quad', if you get my drift. The omnidirectional presentation didn't seem too different to normal speakers, but I was sat a good 20 or 30 feet away, in a big room, and I do remember the image height did seem rather excessive. Rightly or wrongly, I concluded the omni approach wouldn't have worked in the modest living room I had at the time. OTOH, I didn't hear the smaller models, which are presumably designed for that situation.

Addition .... I forgot to mention that the Obs were well out into the room, maybe 10 feet from the nearest wall.
    Last edited by petrat; 14-03-2017 at 08:08.

I'm Timothy.

I have owned Obelisk 2's, and currently have their smallest of the range, Larcs. I have heard most of the models in the lineup save the largest Diapasons model. I like them all, they tend to have a family sound, as you go up the range though, the models do become more omni as opposed to just more upward/ outward firing in a single plane. The smaller models much easier to drive, from the Obelisk on up, one is better served with an amplifier that can deliver serious drive/current.

They are, or can be, somewhat of an aquired taste, but if you love what they do, hard to listen to a standard box speaker and be completely satisfied. I think the problem most encounter on first listen, is that they give up too quickly on them. They certainly do take a bit of time to get accustomed to their "all over" sound. While many say it is a diffuse sound, I really haven't found that to be all that true to my ears. They sound more natural, much like my Larsen Model 4 speakers. A typical box speaker to me sounds like music is hurled at you, or somehow forced upon the ears.

What I really like about them is that they sound very full with meat on the bones, nothing one dimensional about them at all. I like not having to sit in a certain position on the couch to enjoy them at their fullest, no head in vice sitting with them at all. For the most part I find them fairly easy to site, the ones with passives-Arc on up, do need some room behind them or they can get flabby and congested.

The only reason I parted with my Obs is that my room and amplification did them no justice, while I got a taste of them, it was just more than I could manage at the time. I will probably revisit them at some point, in the meantime, the little Larcs do a marvelous job of things Shahinian, in a much smaller box that is also easier to drive and situate.

Give them a try if possible, and yes, a lot of info. out there, especially on PF forum.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread