+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mains filter for powerline adapters

I'm Dimitris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    how does that work brian. do you just plug it in somewhere and it sucks all the stuff out?
    Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Yup
    Unfortunately, filtering does not work like that. Especially with high-frequency noise.

The filtering has to be close to the load to be effective.
    This means that you would need such a filter really close to every device that you want to protect. Or at least between the device and the source of the noise.

By sticking it somewhere randomly, you could get some improvement if you are lucky, but you will most likely still get lots of high-frequency stuff on your devices. The amount of the effect will of course heavily depend on the level of optimization of your device's psu for high frequency stuff.

I used powerline adapters for a while, but I got some nasty cracking noise on my speakers so I got rid of them.
    I now use only ethernet or wifi
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

They wouldn't fit your socket upstairs because it would have meant running additional cable, and they're not interested in doing it - end of story.
    All they do with any customer is reuse existing cable running back to the nearest roadside box to provide the service, where there will be a new service provided over a different cable pair.
    They move the jumper wire, and hey presto, new service.

Draytek Vigor routers are pretty good for WiFi coverage, as are some of the Netgear routers.
    Most of the IT companies I do work for install the Draytek stuff.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm alain.

I use TP powerline adaptors for my PC for the simple reason:- over wifi the max speed is 30mbs and on ethernet using the powerline adaptors 80+mbs.
    Marantz HD AMP 1, Marantz HD CD1 both on Oak Cone feet, Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers on Norstone Stylum Stands with Soundcare Superspikes.
    HiFi in Touch Oak distribution block, RA Mains powerkord 100, RA Yello with Wattgate IECs and MCRU Ag plated mains plugs, Atlas Ascent Ultra digital coax, TQ Ultra Blue speaker cable

I'm Simon.

My attitude is don't use powerline adapters, because sharing power cables in the house with transmitting music with all the electrical interfearance is never a good thing.

I've used powerline myself and they don't work as well as the following idea;

If your music system is in a different room to your router, use a wi fi extender with its own lan to create a seperate network, and put any nas on the extender. Also you limit the length of cable runs and can benefit from better quality Ethernet cabling and no sharing with electrical mains etc.

The cost of a good extender is roughly the same as very good powerline adapters as well. I use a netgear nighthawk extender. By having a lan in the extender it's the same as a lan (local area network) in a router. Just get the music on any pc to share itself to the nas connected to the extender with appropriate pc software.

I found with powerline the sound not as good, but of course it always depends on how decent the system is and worked out by experimentation.

I'm Grant.

Ive had mine connected again for a couple of weeks. Not using for music but no issue with either pc or applebox. Used to have a repeater from netgear. It was not as good as these although tbf its a bit old
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12