+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet ups in Sussex anyone??

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    The chaps over at The Audio Standard are having an ASBO (a southern bake off) which might be of interest.
    In Reading I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Most folk have become so accustomed to that way of hearing music they don't give it a second thought. The guitarist in my band has several radios on at once in his house, all bloody day and night long, sometimes all on different stations. It drives me up the up the wall and he doesn't get it. He's happy because he has music in every room. None of it sounding very good. He doesn't own a TV so listens a lot of music. I wonder if that makes him any less of a music lover than me?
    Dave one of my best mates, a great guitar player, owns some very nice guitar amps etc. Uses this tiny little tin can sounding CD all in one player. Bought from a supermarket. He has loads of CDs ,and listens to music all the time. I would say we are equal music lovers, as we both connect emotionally to the music.
    He likes HIFI, but would rather spend his cash on guitar gear.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    later they had some Dubby/Reggae thing going on.
    Ah Dubby Reggae and scrabble, good mix.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    Yep,
    I live in Eastbourne and am always pleased to see that there are others fairly local, a get together would be great idea if anyone was to organise one then I would be only to pleased to visit see and hear other peoples systems, cant do one at the moment as I am speaker less
    Hi p147
    What hi fi stuff do you have out of interest. A snooker fan -147?
    Simon

I'm Rick.

Hi All, another single bloke who likes hi-fi. Is there a theme spreading through this thread?!!! I live in Crowborough and have been to plenty of bake offs on another forum that's currently going through a lot of changes.

Bake off's are great to meet like minded people and make new friends. They also allow you to listen to completely different set-ups that you may not get a chance to at any retail outlet. I bought my speakers after hearing a mates pair (in Haywards Heath). I'd have never considered them without having had that opportunity. Then there's my dac (Chord Hugo), another mate had one on loan from one of his friends and thought I'd be interested in hearing it. In short I loved what it did for my system and so bought one.

I'd be happy to bring the Hugo and / or a Music First Silver pre-amp round if someone fancied holding a small back off. I'll also happily return the good deed once I get my power amps back up and running. I managed to kill one by shorting the speaker terminals one day (I couldn't see behind my speakers and everything "felt" ok!).

Cheers Rick.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_F View Post
    Hi All, another single bloke who likes hi-fi. Is there a theme spreading through this thread?!!! I live in Crowborough and have been to plenty of bake offs on another forum that's currently going through a lot of changes.

Bake off's are great to meet like minded people and make new friends. They also allow you to listen to completely different set-ups that you may not get a chance to at any retail outlet. I bought my speakers after hearing a mates pair (in Haywards Heath). I'd have never considered them without having had that opportunity. Then there's my dac (Chord Hugo), another mate had one on loan from one of his friends and thought I'd be interested in hearing it. In short I loved what it did for my system and so bought one.

I'd be happy to bring the Hugo and / or a Music First Silver pre-amp round if someone fancied holding a small back off. I'll also happily return the good deed once I get my power amps back up and running. I managed to kill one by shorting the speaker terminals one day (I couldn't see behind my speakers and everything "felt" ok!).

Cheers Rick.
    Hi Rick

I'd be interested in that. I'd be very interested in seeing what a Hugo would do in my system. What do you have kit wise? Maybe you could come round mine, or when visiting your friend in hh. Come together if you like. Would be good to know anyone else in Haywards Heath into hi fi.

Let us know if you fancy it. My system is quite nice and a bit of a demo for cyrus and pmc. The new 25-23s I have are fantastic speakers. I see lots of people (from forums) who have used Hugo's with cyrus.

Simon

I'm Russell.

Sounds like you know how to have fun! Now, here in the States a "bake off", means something a bit different. Are we getting "baked", in front of the stereo? A lot of that goes on I hear.

I was explaining to a coworker once what an "Audiophile", does, drink your favorite beverage, and listen to music intently. And he replied, "oh, so you're like an intellectual couch potato", and I said yes exactly!

My ex mother in law used to set in her kitchen all day, every day, smoking cigarettes, no radio, no TV, just setting there all day in silence. Her brains squirming like worms I'm sure. While there was a hi fi and Tele in the next room? Personally I don't trust people who don't like music.

My friends have stereos, but they are nothing special, they all love my system! They think it's awesome! But they just are not willing to part with the money to own one. Many are musicians, and they spend all their extra money on guitars and guitar rigs. My best friend has about 18 or 20 guitars. Most never see the light of day. My own father overheard me telling someone what I had invested in my system and he blew off, "no stereo is worth that kind of money!" And I asked him, hoe much do you have in that camping trailer? About the same amount. I asked him, how often do you use that trailer? He replied maybe 10 times a year. So I said, I use my stereo every single day, 365 days a year! Now who's wasting money?

I'd love to join you guys on one of your bake offs! Perhaps you can take up a collection and buy me a plane ticket? I'd pitch in, but I'm saving for a preamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

I would welcome a visit from anyone here, it is such a lovely pursuit and comparison with others' equipment is necessary I think because we can, if too isolated go off on a solitary path which may deviate from actual fidelity, and others' opinions help to keep us on our toes.

I also am not yet streaming, am completely bemused by the numerous possibilities available for this, and would like pointers to the cheapest, highest quality, and maximum range of available music.

My system; relatively unused Linn Sondek RB300, DL304, AVI CD player, AVI Mk 2 tuner, ATC SCA2 pre, ATC SPA2 power, own redesign ESS AMT (1Bs originally), 5th iteration with Rogers BBC LS5/8 mid woofer, and a pair of newly acquired ADM Tensor Gamma actives. Ongoing A/B ing of the latter.

We all have individual experiences and developments, and we may just be able to give useful info or pointers to each other from our experimentations.

Well Rick F when you say; "Hi All, another single bloke who likes hi-fi. Is there a theme spreading through this thread?!!!", I cannot help but think of the numerous times that girlfriends have seen my interests as a competitive threat, these being ; Hi-Fi, motorcycles, bicycles, and even bodybuilding.

Alpha GT, one advantage of Hi-Fi, is that we can use it in really bad weather, and be comfortable.
    Last edited by Pharos; 14-03-2017 at 16:12. Reason: Wrote LS 5/9, should be 5/8

I'm Paul.

Hello Simon, I have over the last year(since coming back to Hi-Fi from A/V) have been putting together a vintage Pioneer Urushi Reference system, the only items I have to replace is the turntable and also get some new speakers now that I have sold my Dynaudio ones, but all in good time.
    As for the 147 no not really a snooker fan, but is an old door number where I used to live
    Once system is put together then may have a bakeoff. f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    Hi p147
    What hi fi stuff do you have out of interest. A snooker fan -147?
    Simon

I'm Paul.

Count me in as and when you are ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I would welcome a visit from anyone here, it is such a lovely pursuit and comparison with others' equipment is necessary I think because we can, if too isolated go off on a solitary path which may deviate from actual fidelity, and others' opinions help to keep us on our toes.

I also am not yet streaming, am completely bemused by the numerous possibilities available for this, and would like pointers to the cheapest, highest quality, and maximum range of available music.

My system; relatively unused Linn Sondek RB300, DL304, AVI CD player, AVI Mk 2 tuner, ATC SCA2 pre, ATC SPA2 power, own redesign ESS AMT (1Bs originally), 5th iteration with Rogers BBC LS5/9 mid woofer, and a pair of newly acquired ADM Tensor Gamma actives. Ongoing A/B ing of the latter.

We all have individual experiences and developments, and we may just be able to give useful info or pointers to each other from our experimentations.

Well Rick F when you say; "Hi All, another single bloke who likes hi-fi. Is there a theme spreading through this thread?!!!", I cannot help but think of the numerous times that girlfriends have seen my interests as a competitive threat, these being ; Hi-Fi, motorcycles, bicycles, and even bodybuilding.

Alpha GT, one advantage of Hi-Fi, is that we can use it in really bad weather, and be comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast