+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet ups in Sussex anyone??

I'm Simon.

Default Meet ups in Sussex anyone??

I've never really met many people who are into my passion for hi fi. More of a home pleasure for me as I live alone and tend just to listen to hi fi when by myself. Bought some pmc twenty5 23s before x mas and am absolutely loving them with my cyrus signature gear.

Am wondering if anyone meets in groups in Sussex. I'm pretty central in Haywards Heath and near Brighton.

I thought if people wanted to either just go around to listen to each others set ups, or maybe bring stuff round to each other's, if obviously easily to transport (so maybe not speakers etc) as it's a good way of checking out kit and doing tests.

I'm really interested in such things as power conditioners improving sound, if bespoke nas systems can improve sound quality, as well as dac technology and improving on what I've got.
    Last edited by Dynamics; 12-03-2017 at 11:06.

I'm Geoff.

Members here do meet up. I'd expect you to have some not too far from you.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Members here do meet up. I'd expect you to have some not too far from you.
    A motorcycle forum I am a member of has a section that has a map showing where people are located. Not the exact location to protect privacy obviously. Might a feature like that be useful for AoS members to get together? Just a thought.

I'm Dennis.

I live in Seaford, have wondered similarly, and this pursuit of ours is rather weird to most people.

It tends to be isolatory and obsessive, and most ordinary people can't see what the fuss is all about, but then so many people regard MacDonalds as food.

Recently a next door neighbour who is a motorcyclist, exclaimed; "Oh you care about the positions of all the instruments and things? I just want to hear the music."

I also am a loner, and have never been married or had children, and cannot help but wonder if this defines me as inadequate in some way, and that the Hi-Fi is a sublimation/displacement of more normal life desires. (40% marriages fail BTW)

I'm Simon.

Now, now. I wouldn't say I'm a loner, I'm out and about a lot but it's just that listening to hi fi is more a solitary thing to do. The people I know wouldn't really care how the music is played and I agree with your view with your neighbour. It is a shame though.

I'm Dave.

Most people play music, they don't listen to it. These days it seems that these people who play music do so when doing other things, background music whilst cooking, driving, running, etc. They cant understand why you would want to sit down facing a load of big/ small boxes and just listen.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm jamie.

im in brighton and live alone too,wanna start a sucide club? lol
    if anyone wants to hear my system and bring some gear or records they know well round im up for that
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Gary.

Us Scottish Mafia types have been doing this for years Simon, its great.

It's a great way to hear different kit in your own system, have a bunch of mates (old n new) around and goof off about hifi and put the world to rights.
    Good way to meet new like minded folk too, always a good thing.

Too easy to get 'stuck in your ways' hifi wise and for myself my wireless has spun off in completely different directions to what it was originally.

A good shout, hope some of the guys local to you pick it up and you all get something going.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    Most people play music, they don't listen to it. These days it seems that these people who play music do so when doing other things, background music whilst cooking, driving, running, etc. They cant understand why you would want to sit down facing a load of big/ small boxes and just listen.
    True.

Mind you I was at a mate's the other night, few people there playing Scrabble. There was background music on but it was interesting that a lot of people commented on the music - not the sound quality, but the music - on a number of occasions. So people clearly were listening even though it wasn't the purpose of the 'event'. None of them are hi-fi enthusiasts though, although the system was quite decent.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True.

Mind you I was at a mate's the other night, few people there playing Scrabble. There was background music on but it was interesting that a lot of people commented on the music - not the sound quality, but the music - on a number of occasions. So people clearly were listening even though it wasn't the purpose of the 'event'. None of them are hi-fi enthusiasts though, although the system was quite decent.
    Sorry for the thread drift Simon ( I may have to start a new thread). You are right Martin, i have seen similar, but not that often . Do you think the system used made people more aware of the music ? What was playing?
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast