+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big night for me tonight...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    In my opinion, the principle to adopt with sub-woofers is much the same as that with super-tweeters. If the output is obvious, something is wrong. Its effect should be subtle and only discerned by a negative impression in its absence.

In other words, if it sounds better with it on but you can't pinpoint the sound it makes, you've probably got it about right.
    Agree but it depends on what music you use to set it, something quite flat, Dire Straits, say, you think you have it right. Then you put on something properly bassy and Hey Presto! - you've got a Bose system! It's fun for about 5 minutes and then you miss your hi-fi.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

Blending a sub can be tedious work, as pointed out different recordings call for different settings. A happy medium is all we can hope for, best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Had a quick play this morning while the kids were stampeding around, the settings from last night were a bit bassy at higher volume (I guess it's like a loudness control quite handy in fact) but toned down it sounded very good indeed. Yes I agree it should sound natural and subtle. I have placed it to minimise phase effects, the only thing is as you adjust crossover you have to also adjust volume to maintain a balanced not overblown (or conversely too subtle) sound.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Also, I would guess its harder to blend infinite baffle speakers with a sub as the roll off at the bottom end is much slower and they might crossover too much of the frequency range, fortunately mine have small front(slot) ports.

I'm Martin.

What is the frequency response of the sub you have got?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Its15-240hz (no db rating but I'd imagine -6db at 15hz, I wouldn't want much more), 8" woofer with a 50w Rms amp in a. dinky little cherry box about 12" cubed. Just right for my small AP towers to give them a bit more range. No point in anything bigger for my needs.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-5897-disc...subwoofer.aspx

I'm Martin.

When they don't quote any level then it usually means what is euphemistically called 'useful output' i.e 24dB down at the bottom rating.

But you don't need to go anywhere near that low unless you are very serious about pipe organ recordings. :
    Current Lash Up:

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I use the same with a Yamaha sound bar on the telly. Decent bit of kit.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When they don't quote any level then it usually means what is euphemistically called 'useful output' i.e 24dB down at the bottom rating.

But you don't need to go anywhere near that low unless you are very serious about pipe organ recordings. :
    Yes that sounds possible with an 8" woofer in a sealed box. But then I just want to get an extra 10hz or so out of the bottom end.

I'm Geoff.

Most folk wouldn't notice if there was no bass below about 50Hz. In fact most don't own equipment that can do 50Hz.

I do enjoy a bit of solid deep bass myself, which is why I used to build transmission line speakers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast