+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPDIF output to AES/EBU input

I'm Gareth.

Default SPDIF output to AES/EBU input

As per title, is this possible?

Some context: I've recently acquired a Auralic Altair which, amongst others, has a AES/EBU input:

I no longer own a digital source with a AES/EBU output and in order to maximise my options, I'd like to use any SPDIF digital source and plug it into the AES/EBU input. I've not been able to find a definitive answer and have tried one of these, but it doesn't appear to work:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessorie...rs/naditbnc-mx

EDIT: I am concerned the Neutrik device I purchased from eBay might be faulty, but can't be 100% certain.

Am I on a hiding to nothing?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

S/PDIF is 75ohm impedence.
    AES3/EBU is 110ohm impedence.
    It's not just a simple case of physical adapters.
    Chris

Once we've made sense of our world, we wanna go fuck up everybody else's because his or her truth doesn't match mine. But this is the problem. Truth is individual calculation. Which means because we all have different perspectives, there isn't one singular truth, is there?

I'm Gareth.

The Neutrik device appears to offer a 75ohm input and with a 110ohm output. Have I misinterpreted the specs?

I'm Simon.

I use those Neutrik adaptors at work all the time with no problems. Despite the impedance mismatch, a phono to XLR cable usually works.

I'm Gareth.

Thanks.

That's why I believe the Neutrik device I've purchased is faulty. There's physical evidence suggesting it's been opened. I need to test it before seeking a refund from the seller.

Canare produce something similar, albeit expensive:

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/23...-to-BNC-socket

I'm uncertain if I can use a (cheaper option) RCA to XLR cable or the more expensive adapter.

I'm Simon.

I could pop one in the post for you to borrow?

I'm Gareth.

Wow! That would be great, thanks. I'll PM you my details.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you click on 'Drawing' in http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessorie...rs/naditbnc-mx, you will see the Neutrik adapter in question does indeed contain a matching transformer.

By the way Gareth, whereabouts in Chelmsford are you? I live in Great Baddow.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm James.

The AES Input will be 'converted' to 'single-ended' within the DAC anyway so I don't think there'll be any audible advantage to converting it externally. In fact the converter within the DAC will almost certainly be of a better type.

All three types of connector (AES, COAX and Toslink) carry the same DATA stream (balanced and unbalanced) so if it were me I think I'd just use the COAX/Toslink (if I had a choice I'd use the COAX) connection.

Jim.

I'm Gareth.

To follow up: The device kindly supplied by @simonh also failed to work which leads me to think:
    a). the Altair won't accept a SPDIF signal via the AES3 input; or,
    b). the Altair's AES3 input is faulty.

With no AES3 source to test, I can't be sure either way. I've reached out to Auralic but no response as yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast