+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Krell

danilo Guest

Use whatever pleases :-) but a 10 k is the usual sweet spot and 25k if 'still' using coax wire for interconnects

I'm Russell.

I may have a few pots around, nothing like an Alps, mind you. But may be worthy of an experiment. I used my old CD player, my Sony ES had a volume controlled output, and I plugged it directly into the amp, my old amp. Just to see what effect my preamp was having. And I have plugged my CD player directly into the amp, it was loud! But, not too loud. Having no control over the volume was not convenient, but it was interesting to see what no pre sounded like. I was quite surprised at the time how little the preamp was messing things up.

I've been listening to my new amp for several months now, and my urge to replace the preamp had wained. More careful speaker placement, and just getting used to the way it sounds, as it sounds very different from my old amp, it's growing on me. I find that I play it far more than I did my old amp, which is the real test of good stereo. Regardless of price, wattage ratings, or popular badges, how much you listen is the true test of sound quality. I was nearly convinced it was just me, being older and less interested, but now I know that it was my old system, a poor match between my speakers and amp. Which I always suspected as second most likely. The more I play it the better it sounds, I'm growing quite fond of it, if I wasn't before, and I feel hardly any need for change right now. Oh, I'll buy a new preamp, I'm an Audiophile! I can't help it! But I'm in no hurry at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danilo Guest

Good on you for trying.. Many wouldn't.
    Small issue tho; on MY Sony ES .. it's volume control out made for significantly degraded sounds. Nothing subtle about it either.
    Dunno IF it was my specific Sony or not.. But when I fitted a 50$ (new) Toshiba dvd unit.
    (Hey! it was flavour of the month and I too have been known to follow the herd ).
    The DVD player was Sooo much better sounding... the Sony went in the closet permanently.
    May still have it.. haven't looked for it in over 10 years. But the housemate tends to throw out junk I've forgotten about.. surreptitiously of course
    Rambles aside, the Sony ES may not be the Primo unit I (and you?) assumed/purchased it to be. Simply wasn't a very pleasing sounding thing at all
    Certainly it's volume controlled 'out' was Shabby.
    Try another source, as further experiment ?
    New gear, whatever it may be, is tricky to evaluate.
    IMO.. the ONLY real and relevant reaction is within the first 5 ~ 10 mins where our brains are still holding the previous situation as reference
    But..Human brains adapt Very Quickly to sensory change and all too soon the New becomes assimilated as the current normal.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Good on you for trying.. Many wouldn't.
    Small issue tho; on MY Sony ES .. it's volume control out made for significantly degraded sounds. Nothing subtle about it either.
    Dunno IF it was my specific Sony or not.. But when I fitted a 50$ (new) Toshiba dvd unit.
    (Hey! it was flavour of the month and I too have been known to follow the herd ).
    The DVD player was Sooo much better sounding... the Sony went in the closet permanently.
    May still have it.. haven't looked for it in over 10 years. But the housemate tends to throw out junk I've forgotten about.. surreptitiously of course
    Rambles aside, the Sony ES may not be the Primo unit I (and you?) assumed/purchased it to be. Simply wasn't a very pleasing sounding thing at all
    Certainly it's volume controlled 'out' was Shabby.
    Try another source, as further experiment ?
    New gear, whatever it may be, is tricky to evaluate.
    IMO.. the ONLY real and relevant reaction is within the first 5 ~ 10 mins where our brains are still holding the previous situation as reference
    But..Human brains adapt Very Quickly to sensory change and all too soon the New becomes assimilated as the current normal.
    That was many years ago I attempted the experiment plugging the Sony ES directly into the amp. I used the attenuated outputs first, and finding that it didn't destroy anything. Switched to the direct outputs. It was Loud! And no turning it down either! But, not too loud, sounded quite good actually, I used to all afternoon in this way, going through a selection of CD's. but that was 20+ years ago, and back then I had heard little to top my Sony 608ESD. For the price anyway.

I have not attempted that experiment with my new system. The Krell is a monster, and it could damage things if it were too loud! But, unity shouldn't be so loud as to hurt anything. I may have to start with something that starts in slowly, not Pink Floyd when all the clocks start chiming! My present CD player is a Cary 306, built like a tank, works flawlessly, and sounds damn amazing. Stupid expensive when it was new, but I got a great price on a used one 4 years old. I've had it less than a year, and it still surprises me.

I've been moving some things around, my two nephews happened around last weekend so I recruited them to move the Krell up onto its new shelf! I sure can't lift that thing. So now I am able to get to the cabling better, and possibly try my experiment soon. I've been so busy lately I haven't much time to even listen to it. My band is playing a gig this weekend, a proper lady has taken a shine to me, and I've still got guitar parts on my desk waiting to be worked on. If this is retirement I don't know how I ever found time to work a job? But things will slow down soon and I can't get back to it.

I've been saving up my money for a top of the line preamp, thinking hard about an Audio Research. But, as I get close to my goal, a new purchase for a phono cartridge keeps bothering me. I saw a Cadenza Black for sale, only 50 hours on it, about a thousand dollars off new. And darn if I didn't see a pair of Martin Logan Sequals within driving distance for only $600! I've always wanted a pair. Audiophilia is a terrible illness to suffer, like a chronic gambler or sex fiend, I just can't help myself! Stop me before I upgrade again!

danilo Guest

Friend said similar years ago: How do people with Jobs get Anything accomplished?
    I replaced my decade long used/loved George Wright Triode type Pre with a cheap 10K stepped attenuator, a 1$ wee wooden box from the Dollar store and interconnects.
    Massive SQ improvement.
    Had I not heard /done it, I would have laughed at the suggestion of improvements
    Dunno about running an input sans a Pot of some kind.. Lotsa power on a short leash in that amp.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Friend said similar years ago: How do people with Jobs get Anything accomplished?
    I know the feeling. Things that you didn't expect, seem to expand in their need for your time once you retire. Weird!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Colin.

What did you pay for the Krell?Everything has a price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

You've put your Krell on a shelf! Blimey, I hope that is a blooming sturdy shelf?
    Account Deleted

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    What did you pay for the Krell?Everything has a price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I paid $2500USD, not a steal perhaps, but a fair price for an amp in this condition. Like new, except for the bent fin thanks to Fed Ex.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    You've put your Krell on a shelf! Blimey, I hope that is a blooming sturdy shelf?

A small table actually, its surprisingly sturdy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast