+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Audio goodness

I'm Alan.

Default Sage Audio goodness

...and goodness me is it good. Staggeringly so to be frank.

I'll borrow Paul's photos (hope that's OK Paul):

As can be seen (not) the majority of the electronics are potted in some huge heatsinks with just some power supply gubbins filling the rest of the case.

The case was diabolically put together so I've put that right and there were quite a few loose connections internally, some very loose.

Sage Audio is rather an unknown quantity, I did some research on line and the late designer made some fantastical claims for the performance and power levels.
    Even with plus and minus 80V supply rails I reckon the max power would only be 100W into 8 ohms, with double that into 4 ohms.
    I did read that a number of the modules had blown up so I was pleasantly surprised that the build was using +/- 50V, so de-rating the modules and improving reliability.

The measured power output is 65W into 8 ohms, and 115W into 4 ohms. As for the rest of the performance all I can say is

This is the best sounding SS power amp I have come across, barring a Chord SPM 1200 (nearly £9K now).
    You name it, clarity, speed, slam, attack, grunt, any more?

Staggeringly good sound, the circuit is fairly complex but with all the best techniques to obviate distortion and improve slew rates.
    It is not class A which might be guessed at from the size of the heatsinks, but I think there are measures to ensure the drivers and output FETs are always on to a certain degree.

Plus it drives the Maggies wonderfully, without even breaking a sweat.

Phew.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Nice. I had a feeling that might just turn out to be something a bit special.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Looks like there is very little in it Alan. Wheres all the components hidden?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Looks like there is very little in it Alan. Wheres all the components hidden?
    They're encapsulated in a module integral with the heatsink.
    Barry

I'm Nathan.

I'd like to see what's inside the heatsinks. I was wondering where all of the components were too.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Suspect they are epoxy-encapsulated.
    Barry

I'm Nathan.

Probably.

I'm Nathan.

I found about ten schematics that are all different. It looks like a lot of people have tried to figure out what's in those things, and haven't been able to recreate it.

I read one article where the guy spent two weeks depotting one with nitromethane. He wanted to know bad enough to risk an inferno.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Make a copy!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

This is the schematic I have:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast