+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distortion vs EQ

I'm Dimitris.

There could be some EQing in cases where the RIAA implementation is a bit off or does not match the RIAA used by the engineers that did the mastering. But it is not something consistent that can be considered a characteristic of all turntable based systems.

A distortion that can be consistent between all turntables is noise. And the tracking/surface noise (not clicks, pops etc) can create a dithering effect.
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Russell.

Vinyl stereo records first introduced in 1948, use a system of equalization called RIAA, forget what that stands for, but some kind of association. Vinyl records have certain limitations, so engineers figured out a way around them. When a tape recording is cut to a record, the high frequencies are very tapered off. And low bass frequencies would have grooves so wide you couldn't fit them on the record. So, they came up with a solution. They cut the bass frequencies way down. And they pump the high frequencies way up! Using an equalizer. Then they cut the master record, and make copies to be sold. Then, the cartridge picks up the music off the record, and it is sent through the RIAA equalizer to undo the changes made before the record was cut, it cuts the treble and pumps up the bass, make it normal again. This way, they can get a far greater frequency range onto a record. Old 78 records had an equalization method too, but it was just on the recording end, there was no further EQ'ing on the playback end.

I realize this has little to do with the original question, but I wanted to point out that whether we think we are using any EQ or not, it is definitely being used. Using EQ doesn't necessarily distort the original wave form, no more than turning the volume knob up and down, it's only turning the volume up and down on selected parts of the original wave form. While the wave form has changed, it's still not what they usually mean by distortion. I'm not sure if this helps or hurts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Vinyl stereo records first introduced in 1948, use a system of equalization called RIAA, forget what that stands for, but some kind of association.

Yup the 'Recording Industry Association of America' specify the emphasis and de-emphasis curve used for cutting records works as you've described, but for the sake of some amount of historical accuracy, it wasn't introduced or widely used until 1954 (and even then it took a while longer to establish itself). There are apparently at least 100 'standards' that were used by different labels and cutting houses prior to that.

I kind of agree with the semantic twist that a couple of poster have put on this insofar as a deliberate change of frequency content using an EQ could be considered EQ whereas a frequency shifting effect caused by equipment not having a completely flat frequency response across the audio spectrum could be interpreted as distortion (an unintended deviation from the actual content on the source).

I'm Alan.

I agree with AlphaGT and Rothchild, changing EQ is not adding distortion it is changing the amplitude to a sign wave at a given frequency and that is part of the RIAA process anyway.
    Distortion in Vinyl play back mainly comes from miss tracking caused by poor arm / Cart geometry or set up so its very important to get that set up correctly first.
    It is also possible that harmonic distortion is unintentionally added by a poor quality phono stage adding a bloom to the sound ? remember that MM ads approx 45dB and MC 60dB of gain to a signal so any distortion in the signal path is amplified up to a thousand times

When they talk about about vinyl warmth I just think that is a product of the frequency response produced by the RIAA correction and the Cartridges own Voice (and cartridge loading) plus the distortion in the phono circuit which does not produce the ruler flat frequency response that you get from digital.
    Reel 2 Reel also produces a hump in the bass and at low speeds a rolled off HF but it still sounds great never the less

I think that we also have to accept that certain types of distortion do sound good to the human ear and a perfectly pure and flat frequency response can sound a bit flat and sterile
    Also remember the every guitar sound we hear on a song has already had all sorts of distortion sounds intentionally added to make it more attractive to the music being played
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Russell.

Thanks Marc, it's been a long time since I read up on that stuff. And it's partly responsible for the lack of bass in early vinyl records. I recall a super expensive phono preamp that has multiple curves to choose from, it had a Decca curve, a few others, and the RIAA. I can't recall the make, but the reviewer wondered why they bothered to include it, but I guess if you own old Decca records, or whatever other old recordings, you might want it?

As has been already pointed out, every single piece of the playback chain introduces distortion. Even CD players, reel to reel decks, and digital file servers all introduce some kind of distortion.

Back in the days when jitter was big news in new DAC's and CD players. There was argument that the nature of analog distortions were at less noticeable frequencies, and even the tiniest amount of jitter was noticeable because it was in a more irritating place. Forgive my lack of technical detail, I'm working from memory. Anyway, my point is there are many kinds of distortion. Intermodulation distortion, Harmonic distortion, even order and odd order, EMF RFI distortions, just all kinds! It's truly amazing we can enjoy reproduced music at all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12