+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics SL1210 Rubber Base

I'm Mick.

Default Technics SL1210 Rubber Base

Has anybody ever refurbished the rubber base? I can't find anything on the internetMine has a few marks and a bit patchy but nothing major but I know they are there. I dont want to just cover it with silicone etc as that doesn't remove the issue. Can it be light sanded polished painted etc

Anyone had any good results tackling this.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Geoff.

I would think sanding it will ruin the surface. Try some car bumper shine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I would think sanding it will ruin the surface. Try some car bumper shine.
    Done that Geoff but that is just to say covering it. Thought someone would know of a permanent solution to repair it.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Mel.

A rather late reply but I recently finished renovating a rather 'well used' 1210 and the base looked bad but proved the easiest to deal with. On the rubber base I used a 3m scotchbrite product which looks rather like a washing up scourer and comes in many grades. I used the light grey (fine) pad and simply added washing up liquid to the pad a rubbed the base in a circular motion (plenty of elbow grease ) to remove scratches etc. The rubber base was finally given a good rinse and came up looking very good. It works well and I used the same item (but multiple grades) to clean up the bright parts of the alloy platter which had dark patches from beer and grease from hands as a result of many hours of "scratching".

Mel

I'm Mick.

Cheers for the input Mel. I have just done a similar thing with some P400 wet and dry but I used straight rubbing with loads of water and washing up liquid. Results are a nice satin looking rubber with no marks.

+ Reply to Thread