+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fidelity Research FR64s Tonearm damper weight

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    that's japanese yen, the winning bid equals $1229. it's a shame that the page is translated with google so i actually don't get what you get, for example they mention some some special bearings. sure no one needs so many weights but there were other things in the lot, like stabilizer.

do you think a VTA adjuster was a part of the lot? than this is cheap, really.
    VTA adjuster included - I very, very much doubt it for that price.
    They are a work of art!

Yes the Google translation is Googlobledigook
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 13-03-2017 at 17:52.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Do you mean, is it a standard Fidelity Research item?

If so, no it's something Hugo asked me to make for his Jelco, he tried it on his FR64s, liked it, and asked for one for his FR64s.

I'm trying out
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Yes, it will increase load on the horizontal bearings, but for the moment I'm prepared to take the risk. The FR64S is built like a stainless steel battleship, so I reckon 200g extra won't hurt. I may be wrong, but we'll see! The unmistakable improvement in all aspects of musical replay makes the risk worth taking, IMO.
    So, what's the verdict??

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    So, what's the verdict??
    As I stated before, I like the effect of adding the weight - it's subtle but amounts to better 'music', in a sort of fundamental way.

I'm Steve.

After plenty of listening my verdict is that it does indeed change the sound, subtly yes but it's very detectable.

The first thing I notice is an extended bass, could be a fraction of a dB or more greater amplitude in that freq range?

This also impacts the overall music as Hugo finds, perhaps it's a harmonics thing?

I can't detect any negatives offsetting this in other areas of the sound or overall coherence.

This is of course for the Fidelity Research FR64s arm.

Hugo and Dubster68 have covered the Jelco SA-750D.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12