+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fidelity Research FR64s Tonearm damper weight

I'm Steve.

Default Fidelity Research FR64s Tonearm damper weight

This one is for Hugo's FR64s.

Pictured atop my FR64s

I will give it a listen this evening, before posting off to Hugo tomorrow.

System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm gordan.

is there such a thing on 64 regularly?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    is there such a thing on 64 regularly?

Do you mean, is it a standard Fidelity Research item?

If so, no it's something Hugo asked me to make for his Jelco, he tried it on his FR64s, liked it, and asked for one for his FR64s.

I'm trying out
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm gordan.

Yep I was wondering if someone invented it as an after market item (not FR)

Wouldn't this add a substantial weight on the bearings?
    Gordan.
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    Yep I was wondering if someone invented it as an after market item (not FR)

Wouldn't this add a substantial weight on the bearings?
    Yes, it will increase load on the horizontal bearings, but for the moment I'm prepared to take the risk. The FR64S is built like a stainless steel battleship, so I reckon 200g extra won't hurt. I may be wrong, but we'll see! The unmistakable improvement in all aspects of musical replay makes the risk worth taking, IMO.

(I should add that the Jelco SA-750 weight which Steve made for me, and which does the same thing for SQ, does not impart any load to the SA-750's bearings, so is without risk)

I'm Steve.

I agree with Hugo on the robustness.

Also whilst I don't know the exact specs, I'm pretty sure that the bearings for the 64s and the 66s are the same, same bearing housing size etc.

The additional inches of arm for the 66s and with the extra massive counterweight to balance, it will load the 66s' bearings more than the 64s in standard form.

The additional mass Hugo has added would be in that region, so not a problem in my mind.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 12-03-2017 at 10:56.

blackstar Guest

How much do these things cost?

I'm gordan.

Gordan.

I'm Steve.

I've not seen that many counterweights for one arm before!
    Is there a decimal point wrong there? Google says 138000 Chinese Yuan equals
    16357.30 British Pound?! I'm suddenly better off than I thought if I turn up a few extra weights
    Doesn't seem to have the FR heavy headshell which I found is a must for my SPU Royal N.

The massive VTA adjuster armbase is nice too (not included in that picture).

Last edited by Magna Audio; 13-03-2017 at 08:44.

I'm gordan.

that's japanese yen, the winning bid equals $1229. it's a shame that the page is translated with google so i actually don't get what you get, for example they mention some some special bearings. sure no one needs so many weights but there were other things in the lot, like stabilizer.

do you think a VTA adjuster was a part of the lot? than this is cheap, really.
    Gordan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast