+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise please: phono stage?

I'm Colin.

Dealer stuck arm & new cartridge on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Drifting usually means theres not enough weight on the headshell end or your rewire is too tight and is causing resistance inside the arm. Or, the wire used to rewire is too stiff and is causing resistance.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Colin.

I'd like to think sme do a proper job for the £400 or so I paid & hope it's the amount of tracking pressure at issue

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    .....and when lowering the arm.... it veers to the left!

Bias settings sound a bit high. This can cause the arm to drift on queuing.

I'm Russell.

Just think, once you get it all set you'll be an expert! A good education is always expensive. Just write it off as a learning experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Ari.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    .....and when lowering the arm.... it veers to the left!
    Do you have a level ? To check that the turntable itself is level ?

Also , it appears that your arm is a SME S2 Improved , I can't tell if it has fixed or removable headshell , but in my mind the cartridge is entirely the wrong choice for the arm .

Nagaoka MP150 is very low dynamic compliance cartridge that likes a high effective mass tonearm .

SME S2 Improved with fixed headshell has effective mass of 6,5 grams :- would like cartridge with dynamic compliance between 20 and 31 ( x10-6 cm/Dyne )

SME S2 Improved with removable headshell has effective mass of 9 grams ( assuming original SME headshell is fitted ) :- would like cartridge with dynamic compliance between 18 and 25 ( x10-6 cm/Dyne )

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg..._evaluator.php

Here is a list of moving magnet cartridges that may be better suited to your arm :

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...=&prhi=&page=0

From looking at the list it appears that the easiest option will be the Ortofon 2M's ( red to black , depending on budget ) .

Also , I don't know about the Project phonostage , for the money I would go for a Vista Audio phonostage , looks like crap , sounds like heaven .

http://www.vista-audio.com/products/...mkII/index.htm
    Last edited by Ari; 11-03-2017 at 08:12.

I'm Colin.

Err yes, kept from the days of my pl12d - yes learning experience!

I'm Paul.

Crikey chaps, lets pull on the reins a bit shall we?!

Nr 1. None of us actually know for sure what the problem is. We're just guessing for now until it is confirmed;

Nr2. There is nothing inherently wrong between the match of the MP-150 and the SME arm. Dynamic compliance is 6 x 10-6cm/dyne (static is 18 x 10 -6 cm/dyne)but this is at 100 Hz. I have measured the dynamic compliance to be closer to around 10 to 11, which puts this as a medium compliance cartridge suitable for medium mass arms or light mass with a little headshell mass added for best tracking performance, if needed. It is close enough not to worry about the match...at this stage.

All that is known is that a) it sounds muffled, and b) it moves to the outside of the LP (presumably when being queued?).

Causes for a) are most likely either too much capacitance on the loading or a damaged generator. The causes for b) are either the TT isn't level or bias and/or VTF are out.

Until someone can check this for Colin, there's little point in further speculation as it isn't really helping him.

Is there anyone in Colin's neck of the woods from AoS that could do this for him?

I'm Grant.

If you look at supplied picture Paul you can see the problem with arm. It's not in any way been set up. Until that is fixed then we shall get nowhere fast.
    There is no reason the cart should not sound great on an sme 3009. It's one of the best arms at that price point. I'm using one and mine looks a lot different to his picture

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Crikey chaps, lets pull on the reins a bit shall we?!

Nr 1. None of us actually know for sure what the problem is. We're just guessing for now until it is confirmed;

Nr2. There is nothing inherently wrong between the match of the MP-150 and the SME arm. Dynamic compliance is 6 x 10-6cm/dyne (static is 18 x 10 -6 cm/dyne)but this is at 100 Hz. I have measured the dynamic compliance to be closer to around 10 to 11, which puts this as a medium compliance cartridge suitable for medium mass arms or light mass with a little headshell mass added for best tracking performance, if needed. It is close enough not to worry about the match...at this stage.

All that is known is that a) it sounds muffled, and b) it moves to the outside of the LP (presumably when being queued?).

Causes for a) are most likely either too much capacitance on the loading or a damaged generator. The causes for b) are either the TT isn't level or bias and/or VTF are out.

Until someone can check this for Colin, there's little point in further speculation as it isn't really helping him.

Is there anyone in Colin's neck of the woods from AoS that could do this for him?
    I agree

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast