+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advise please: phono stage?

I'm Colin.

Default Advise please: phono stage?

Please offer me some advise- I recently had my sme 3009 arm re-wired & serviced by SME, and fitted a nagoaka 150 cartridge. I also bought a project s preamp, which has had probably 20 hours use now. Rest of system = chord cables, Cyrus 7 amp & martin Logan motion 15 speakers.
    When I stream music via my dragonfly, the music sounds great - but via the new vinyl set up, vocals and treble appear very dull. Bass and lower end soundstage is great - but I suspect the phono stage is letting me down - or am I missing a trick here? Could someone please recommend me a phono amp that would be appropriate for my level of system or advise what might be the issue?
    I usually play 70's/80's rock
    Thanks
    Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm malcolm.

Have you double checked your setup especially SRA/VTA (Stylus Rake Angle/Vertical Tracking Angle) and VTF (vertical Tracking Force). Nagaokas, in my experience, tend to like the upper end of the scale which, in this case I think is 2gms. Also do you know the capacitance of your cable and phono stage - they might be loading the cart wrong.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Grant.

If set up is ok then either the phono stage or cart may not be right. Cables too could have an effect. Its all very difficult to say from a distance, if you dont have replacements to try.
    I,d be inclined to re try the setting up and as said go close to top weight specified. Making sure with a bubble that headshell is right and cart is at right angle. Getting any of those wrong can have odd effects. Also see if you can borrow a phono stage.. maybe have a local bake off or go to one and take your stage.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

It would help to know which turntable and what cartridge/phono stage you had before to compare it to?

VTA and VTF as above.

At 20 hrs you are probably not near to run in time probably?

I'm malcolm.

Regarding the capacitance, I think your phono stage allows you to change it so...start with it set to 100pF (which I suspect it is now?) and then move up the settings, it should get brighter with each change eventually creeping to harshness, select the best setting to your ears.

Also I assume MM is selected and not MC?

Is Load impedance set for 47k Ohms?

You might also want to play with the gain settings.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Jez.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...hono-loan-list

In a completely different class to any other budget phono stage (google it for reviews to back up this statement) and all are welcome to try it at home.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Regarding the capacitance, I think your phono stage allows you to change it so...start with it set to 100pF (which I suspect it is now?) and then move up the settings, it should get brighter with each change eventually creeping to harshness, select the best setting to your ears.

Also I assume MM is selected and not MC?

Is Load impedance set for 47k Ohms?

You might also want to play with the gain settings.

Hi - I've attached a pic hopefully of the settings- I paid the guys in O'Brien Hi Fi to fit the cartridge, so hopefully they set it up ok!?

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It would help to know which turntable and what cartridge/phono stage you had before to compare it to?

VTA and VTF as above.

At 20 hrs you are probably not near to run in time probably?
    I hadn't used the deck for years, so I can only compare with streaming lossless files -

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post

Hi - I've attached a pic hopefully of the settings- I paid the guys in O'Brien Hi Fi to fit the cartridge, so hopefully they set it up ok!?

I have a Tube Box S, and I couldn't be happier with it...

What type of cartridge is yours MM or MC, or high output MC?

I just set mine to the default example provided in the manual for my type of cartridge which is a high output MC?

Dip switch 1 turned on would suggest your cartridge is a low output MC
    Cheers, Will

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post

I'm assuming the lower DIP switch is the one to set...if so then gain is set to 43dB, impedance to 47k ohm, and capacitance to 100pF. The capacitance would be worth trying - initially just change switch number 7 to UP instead of DOWN (remember to switch phono stage off before adjusting).
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast