+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who digitizes their vinyl....

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Did you have the hands free option?

Nope. Some of the later models had changers like a jukebox. Mine didn't.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    Devialet digitises phono inputs then converts back to analogue. Works really well, not least because the system uses a database with the correct settings for just about any cartridge. The USB socket is 2-way so you can take the phono input straight to a computer. Really rather clever, if not "old school".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those are cool, but I could pay someone to do it for what those things cost. There's a lot of gear inside those boxes. I've never seen them before.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Those are cool, but I could pay someone to do it for what those things cost. There's a lot of gear inside those boxes. I've never seen them before.
    I bought the Devialet for reasons other than its ability to do A/D recording, namely:
    - Depending on the streaming card due later this year, it will replace between 6 and 8 audio boxes.
    - A fairly cost-neutral system change
    - It sounds better
    - The whole family can use it. Sits hidden in a cupboard. Turns on from the power button on the wifi remote and operated from an app, old audio system requited turning on and off at least 4 units. Consequently, it gets used a lot more.
    Best decision I ever made, plus I can digitise my vinyl which I could not do before.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    I bought the Devialet for reasons other than its ability to do A/D recording, namely:
    - Depending on the streaming card due later this year, it will replace between 6 and 8 audio boxes.
    - A fairly cost-neutral system change
    - It sounds better
    - The whole family can use it. Sits hidden in a cupboard. Turns on from the power button on the wifi remote and operated from an app, old audio system requited turning on and off at least 4 units. Consequently, it gets used a lot more.
    Best decision I ever made, plus I can digitise my vinyl which I could not do before.
    I looks like a top notch system, and it doesn't take up your whole living room. I see the benefits of it. I'm just cheap.

I'm Dave.

I digitise my vinyl where it's impossible or expensive to buy a CD version, or where the mastering is preferable. There are many benefits:

Crackle removal by software improves many LPs
    No chance of acoustic feedback colouring the sound at high playback levels (probably worse with unsuspended decks)
    Instant track access, to miss out the duffers (duffer-free albums are remarkably rare!)
    Can be played in the car or on the move
    I don't have to have the record player (and all its paraphernalia) in my living room
    With only one source I don't need a preamp

I'm sure there's more....

I'm Paul.

I did try it in the 90's but it was such a faff and the software available at the time was not that good but I did try

Had a preamp to connect the turntable to line in on my sound card and software the cleaned (or attempted to clean) all the pops and clicks and software that split the wav file into individual tracks.

None of it did that great a job so in the end I gave up

Things are much better now but the DL options are so vast now it's just not worth the hassle.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Jo.

I sometimes transfer vinyl to CD or computer, Grant.

Rega RP3/Elys 24 & Rega TTP >
    Rega Fono >
    Pioneer PDR 609 CD Recorder

I get good results with the copies made on the Pioneer, though it is a time consuming process and you have to be on hand if you want track marks in the appropriate places. I have also digitized vinyl onto a Mac using 'Audacity' software and an analogue to USB adapter [I think it cost under £10.00], or by passing vinyl signal through the CDR and then into the Mac via optical. The latter path is more flexible as you have a range of editiing and filter options with Audacity that you don't have with the CD Recorder. With well-recorded LPs in good condition I usually record straight to CDR, while with LPs in middling condition I use the computer software so as to be able to minimize the effects of damage.

I'm Paul.

Anyone recomend modern software that will automatically detect the silence between tracks and split the file into individual tracks.

And anything modern that does an quick or automatic job of cleaning clicks etc as well.

Thanks

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Jo.

Hello, Paul:

Audacity has a facility called 'Analyse' and you can select 'silence finder'. You also have the option to set the parameters of what constitutes a silence. It will insert track breaks, but in practice I found this process not entirely reliable. The more scratched the LP[ the more the silence detector struggles to correctly identify the real break between tracks and if you listen to classical, as I do, there are often silences within the piece that might be misidentified as track breaks. Users can also select whole pieces of audio for click removal rather than having to identify each click and then remove it. Again this is not without limitations.

I have only ever used Audacity - it was offered free - so perhaps other software sold by Sony, Adobe, &c may provide a better solution.

I'm Grant.

Think Audacity is well enough rated by what i can see. I tried it once but it was with 78s. Also not sure i did it right. Not great at these things for some reason...probably my idiocy.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast