+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all - help!

I'm Colin.

Default Hello all - help!

Hi all
    I've just upgraded my speakers from old kef c35 to Martin Logan 150's. I've also had my sme 3009 arm serviced by SME at great expense & had fitted a Nagoaka np-200 cartridge.
    The other components are Cyrus 7 amp, thorens td160 deck, project s phono amp & dragonfly USB - which I stream lossless files from laptop.
    I also upgraded the speaker & phono cables.
    While the pc streaming sounds GREAT with the new speakers, the refurbished deck seems to lack vocal clarity and treble. Even a bit "dull". I realise vinyl sound is warmer etc, and the soundstage, detail etc is very good, but I feel something is not right...the set up seems ok, ... I am wondering if the old phono cables from the thorens is letting things down, or even the project phono amp.
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Colin

I'm Grant.

Welcome Colin. Hope you enjoy the site... used to have a td160 myself and didnt have that problem. Sme cable is usually ok. Could be the phono stage is not ideal for your needs. There are a few upgrades to the deck that can be done cheaply too. Maybe see if you can borrow or try some phono stages and see if it makes a difference b4 you buy anything. Firebottle and Arkless here have loan stages that do the rounds. I believe Graham Slee forum has one there too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Colin. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and if you have any further plans for your Hi-Fi.

Find the appropriate section and ask your questions. I suspect the combination of MP-200 and SME arm may be the cause of the perceived dullness. Start a thread in the Analogue Arts area and ask. I'm sure our members will have opinions.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Colin and welcome.

My guess would be the phono stage too. They make a huge difference to the quality of the sound and the Project is right down the budget end. As Geoff says, start a thread in the Analogue section, you will get plenty of help and advice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Hi Colin, welcome to AOS, i think it could be down to your phono stage too. There are many phono stages around in the same price range as the Project, or cheaper, even more choice second hand. Enjoy the forum.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Colin.

Thanks to all for prompt replies - I'll start a thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Welcome Colin!

I'm sure our resident vinyl guys will get you sorted.

.... err, what is a Martin Logan 150?

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Welcome Colin!

I'm sure our resident vinyl guys will get you sorted.

.... err, what is a Martin Logan 150?
    You mean there's something you haven't owned?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_F View Post
    You mean there's something you haven't owned?
    Apparently so.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Martin Logan 150.
    If there is --- I WANT A PAIR.

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Apparently so.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Martin Logan 150.
    If there is --- I WANT A PAIR.
    You're right. I bought the bookshelf speakers & my new cartridge is nagoaka 150!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast