+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Caiman SEG and high resolution USB playback like AIFF and DSD

Default The Caiman SEG and high resolution USB playback like AIFF and DSD

Some people have been having problems in locating the expanded USB instructions for the Caiman. The link is at http://www.beresford.me/downloads/CA...ode%20REV6.pdf
    The AIFF driver to play back 352.8KHZ etc PCM files is in the driver section of my website.

JRiver will play AIFF and DSD64 through the Caiman once you follow the setup.
    I am not a Foobar person, so I haven't yet figured out the settings for DSD etc.
    Mediamonkey can play AIFF, but please note that it takes a bit of time for the audio data to travel between PC and DAC due to the far larger file size versus the USB2.0 transfer speed. So you might get a bit of music break up for the first 10 seconds of a 258.2KHZ file. I found out that if you put MM in PAUSE mode for a few seconds, that then gives MM some valuable time to load up, decode the file, and send the data to the Caiman.
    In order for MM to be able to "see" 358.2KHZ PCM files you need to follow the download instructions for the driver on my website.
    Unfortunately I do have a DSD compatible file recognizer for MM, but it doesn't work properly yet with the settings that I have tried. Work in progress.

Loads of demo files on the net to check out AIFF and DSD.

I'm Adam.

Hi Stan - I don't have my PC connected to my SEG so won't be using any of the PC Media players you mention.

However, I do have a Fiio X3 2nd Gen DAP which is capable of playing DSD files.

In fact I have a few Beach Boys albums in DSD which until now I have only listened to on the Fiio.

The Fiio actually also has a Coax digital output. If I plugged this output into the SEG's Coax digital input would this work for my DSD stuff ?
    Adam.

I haven't tried DSD via the coax or toslink inputs so I could not answer that question. I only have DSD and AIFF on my hard disk to play via USB.

I'm Adam.

OK Stan fair enough.

I decided to give it a try with the Fiio X3 2nd Gen with Coax out to the SEG.

The file I used is an ISO of the Beach Boys "Holland" from the Analogue Productions SACD.

The file is described as DSD 64 (2.8Mhz / 1 Bit)

The Fiio has 2 settings for Coax Out :-

1) D2P mode - with this I get Music !

2) DoP mode - with this I get Crackles.

I know very little about DSD. Can anyone with more knowledge tell me what all this means. When I play in D2P mode am I getting the full fat DSD sound through the SEG ?

It sounds fine but I guess it could be downsampling in some way.
    Adam.

I'm Adam.

Ok I think I found some more information about this on the Fiio boards :-

"Q: The difference between DoP mode and D2P mode of X3II/X5II/X7's SPDIF Out.

A: There are two modes of using the SPDIF Out: D2P (DSD to PCM) and DoP (DSD over PCM).
    Under D2P mode, you play the PCM signal and will get the original PCM signal out. When playing the DSD signal, the system will convert the DSD signal to PCM signal and output. Under DoP mode, PCM signal can be directly outputted and so does DSD signal. However, to have the signal output, the coaxial device connecting with the DAP needs to support DSD. It can only support up to DSD64 signal when SPDIF Out, higher specs format like DSD 128 is not supported."

...so it would seem that what I getting on the SEG is D2P (DSD to PCM) - the original PCM signal out. So does this mean I am not getting the full quality of the files ?

It implies that when I switch to DoP mode and get crackles the coaxial input on the SEG does not support DSD.

Have I got this right ? As I say I know very little about DSD so would appreciate some clarification from some clever person!
    Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post

...so it would seem that what I getting on the SEG is D2P (DSD to PCM) - the original PCM signal out. So does this mean I am not getting the full quality of the files ?
    How did you arrive at that conclusion ?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    How did you arrive at that conclusion ?
    ..well at this stage I was unsure - so I was asking for opinions - hence the question mark.

After further consideration - and the crackles in DoP mode - I am assuming the only way to get true DSD on the SEG is via USB.

Consequently - because connecting my PC to my SEG via USB is not practical (they are in different rooms) - I have gone a different route. I now have connected the Line Out of the Fiio X3 to my amp direct (bypassing the SEG) at least this way I can play DSD when I need to. The DAC on the Fiio X3 2nd Gen is pretty good by all accounts - so will do for the odd occasion I want to play DSD. My Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Audio Card via SEG DAC will continue to serve for all non-DSD files.
    Last edited by Theadmans; 10-03-2017 at 19:17.
    Adam.

I'm Alan.

Stan,

I use either a Pi-based front-end or a Hackintosh/Mac Mini front-end; any ideas as to how I can get high-resolution output via USB - apart from converting to Windows?

Alan
    Alan.

I have only messed about with Windows so far.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsdon Wonfor Audio View Post
    Stan,

I use either a Pi-based front-end or a Hackintosh/Mac Mini front-end; any ideas as to how I can get high-resolution output via USB - apart from converting to Windows?

Alan
    There's a Mac version of JRiver.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast