+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Surbiton

I'm David.

Default Hello from Surbiton

Hello everyone. I have just registered and here is a bit about my hi-Fi journey.

It started when I was 15 around 1990 and a hifi shop opened up in Dawley, Shropshire. It wasn't there long, but long enough for me to get the bug. As soon as I had the money I bought my first separates system of a marantz cd60se, marantz pm40se and mission 701 speakers. If I recall it was a package deal around £500 or so at the time. A denon tu260l tuner and demon drm500 quickly followed with some target speaker stands.

A lot of the 80's and 90's rock/metal music was poorly mastered on a lot of CD's so I started collecting records and bought a dual 505/4 and then upgraded the cart to a goldring 1012gx. That table really has a lot of guts for rock music but was not the last word in refinement, so I sold it to a friend and bought a Heybrook tt2 with linn basik plus and k9. What a difference! I then looked for other upgrades to the rest of my sustem to try and keep up with th heybrook. I bout a qed digit dac- made no real difference and then a Cambridge audio dac which did make a difference Jimmy Hughes reviewed it and made a transformer for it where he said it improved it 10 times, he made one for me and wow it did make for a holographic image, but was a bit hard sounding. Speakers changed a couple of times Tdl studio 2, mission 753 and kef 104's which I tried briefly before returning - great sound but not a rocking speaker.

In the mid 1990's I bought a nac32.5/ 110/snaps changed the 110 for a 140 these amps are superb very energetic and revealing. However, in early 2,000's I bought a full Cyrus set up at a bargain price, dad cd transport, dac, pre, 2 mono Powers and a psxr each all on a hark rack driving Proc studio 140's. A lovely system but the cd front end was a little weak so I bought a dpa enlightenment drive and Rennaisonce dac. A real beautiful piece of equipment with built in jitter lock system. Really smooth and detailed and tamed the slightly bright nature of the proac's. However the system was a beast in the living room and after a couple of years had to go.

I went to the Bristol hifi show around 10 years ago looking for a solution. AVI adm9's were it. All in one speakers, amps and dac which sounded remarkably well sorted, being smaller imaged better than the Cyrus set up and if anything were a little more balanced (although not as revealing). Recently I upgraded these with the newer dm10 model - wow what an upgrade - much more revealing than any system I have had to date but still highly musical. These are driven by a rpi3 and iqaudio digi+ which must be the ultimate hifi bargain and recently I have dusted off the old heybrook tt2, upgraded the k9 with a jilco shibata stylus and it is sounding very sweet indeed.

I'm Adrian.

Hello and welcome to the community.
    Adey
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Hi David. Welcome to AOS.

Good intro. Sounds like as complex a Hi-Fi journey as many of us have had.

There's a lot going on here and there's chat about just about everything Hi-Fi and music, so please join in. The members are a friendly lot.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, David.

Sounds like your just as addicted as the rest of us here... Lol

I'm sure you will find the forum most enlightening

Enjoy
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS David
    Regards Neil

I'm Shane.

Welcome. Another TT2 fan, I see!
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS David,

Nice introduction and a similar journey to many of us here. Are rock and heavy-metal your only tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm David.

Thanks guys a very warm welcome indeed! I have a reasonably wide taste in music my collection includes pop, rock, metal, grunge, goth, from aha to ZZ Top. I am falling in love with my TT2 all over again and enjoying playing those records I have collected and frankly forgotten about. Streaming tracks just doesn't compare to playing albums, the lp's are far more captivating.. I shall check out the album club tonight. Cheers D

+ Reply to Thread