+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Forum Bug-Bears

I'm Neil.

Default Pet Forum Bug-Bears

Forum communities can be a funny thing. Am interested in what your bug-bears might me. Here's a few of mine

* Cyclical posting, where members throw in repetitive posts such as "did you do that comparison blind?'

* No response to threads to say thanks or whatever when people ask advice, and have seen the thread that they started.

* Writing off posts due to 'superior experience' when the original point resonates with other member experiences

* Flame wars, suppose this links to cyclical arguments

Your thoughts?
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Ian.

1. People starting pointless threads

I'm Neil.

Ok I am going to say this and some are not going to like this but here goes.

The lack of regular members welcoming newbies. Who welcomes the new folks ? Mostly the mods. Frankly AoS is supposed to be a friendly community and folks who join are often looking to join in and become part of it. So are they welcomed by the members ? Often ? Nope. Sometimes ? Yes But mostlyits the mods that welcome folks. I think its part of our role to do so but how as a newbie would you feel if only mods welcomed you. Not very welcome maybe. Keep in mind we were all new once and often those welcoming posts set the mood for how you feel about a forum, and its members.
    Regards Neil

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Ok I am going to say this and some are not going to like this but here goes.

The lack of regular members welcoming newbies. Who welcomes the new folks ? Mostly the mods. Frankly AoS is supposed to be a friendly community and folks who join are often looking to join in and become part of it. So are they welcomed by the members ? Often ? Nope. Sometimes ? Yes But mostlyits the mods that welcome folks. I think its part of our role to do so but how as a newbie would you feel if only mods welcomed you. Not very welcome maybe. Keep in mind we were all new once and often those welcoming posts set the mood for how you feel about a forum, and its members.
    As a newish member myself, I do on occasion welcome new people, but not too frequently as I don't want to be seen as trying in ingratiate myself into the community.

I have found this forum to fairly friendly in line with many forums,
    there is always a clique or nucleus of members that post and comment amongst themselves, and to a degree after a welcome new members are left on the sidelines, with limited response to posts.

I also accept that many members have a different outlook on what constitutes to be good manners, but we all come from different backgrounds so, I guess, it's to be expected.

Not unique to this forum I may add, whether sound (music) based or any other.

Gary

I'm Justin.

New posts doesn't seem to work properly lest you log in. Really annoys me. Seems to be a vBulletin thing cos it happens elsewhere.

I'm Grant.

should do.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

Misleading thread titles.
    I expected this to be a thread about domesticated animals.

Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    should do.
    I don't have a problem either, though I'm logged in most of the time.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Forum communities can be a funny thing. Am interested in what your bug-bears might me. Here's a few of mine

[1]* Cyclical posting, where members throw in repetitive posts such as "did you do that comparison blind?'

[2]* No response to threads to say thanks or whatever when people ask advice, and have seen the thread that they started.

[3]* Writing off posts due to 'superior experience' when the original point resonates with other member experiences

[4]* Flame wars, suppose this links to cyclical arguments

Your thoughts?
    [1] I don't think we get too much of that here

[2] Yes that does annoy me - especially if I have gone to some time and trouble to research and answer a technical query. If the same member continues to fail to acknowledge the advice given to them, then I'm afraid I will ingore any future queries from them.

[3] I would hope that none of us here are arrogant enough to do that, though I think I know to whom you might be referring ()

[4] Again, I hope the Moderators are sufficiently diligent to quickly 'nip this in bud'.
    Barry

I'm joe.

'Rules' that apply to everyone except the forum owner (d&rfc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast