+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rotel RCH-10 passive - A cheeky little number

I'm Josie.

Default The Rotel RCH-10 passive - A cheeky little number

Hi all.

Just recently I've been using a Rotel RHC-10 passive and I have to say its rather lovely sounding. Looking in to the history of this remarkable range from Rotel back in the early 90's the amount of care and engineering they put in to their products was very nice indeed.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/rotel-RHC-10.html

I've always wanted to give one of these a go. The thing was would it match with the Copper amp? Well as of now its most certainly fitting very well.

But hold on... What about the Croft? Well, that is still as highly regarded and it makes a monster standalone phono stage anyway. The Rotel is a different flavour. It's a little more open and wider which was to be expected. The croft however because of its bonkers upgrades does have a more rounded sound to it... Which was again only expected.

Feeding the Rotel with either the IQAudio or the latest Allo BOSS makes for a very nice listen indeed.

The build quality (go to the link above) is bonkers for a,passive.

It weighs 5kgs and its almost empty. The main dual mono pots are I think Ko-On but not sure about the switches. The movement and feel of the switches are sublime.

It's been in my system now for a few weeks so its still on trial but I have to say.... It's very nice.

One thing puzzles me though to which I hope someone can clarify for a potential upgrade. On the main circuit board there are a pair of resistors one each input and a pair on the output. Could this be a shunt design?

Thanks
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    One thing puzzles me though to which I hope someone can clarify for a potential upgrade. On the main circuit board there are a pair of resistors one each input and a pair on the output. Could this be a shunt design?
    Unlikely, but a few measurements with nothing more than a multimeter would soon remove any doubt.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Always liked the look of the Michi gear, classy.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

As it's got input and record selector switches, the resistors on the output are probably series resistors to protect against very low impedance's or short circuits on the record outputs.

I'm Josie.

Thanks guys.

Yes the michi stuff is built like top of the range Sony. Beautifully built.

Thanks Alan... Ah, that makes sense. I'd not use the record outputs anyway.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Rob.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that; another bit of kit to look out for.
    Rob.