+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eccentric Records, do you have any?

I'm Adam.

I have a copy of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" on 7" that is so hilariously off-centre and unlistenable I keep it simply for comedy value. More irritatingly, side 1 of The War on Drugs' 'Lost in the Dream' is similarly afflicted, which is very annoying as it's brilliant, but has quite a few sustained synth notes, so is really obvious.

And all those other records in my collection that are less than 0.5mm off centre are corrected by my turntable so aren't an issue!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Paul.

I think 12" singles were generally more likely to be "off" in this way than an LP.
    The plastic being thinner may have had something to do with it, I don't know, but I can remember a couple being dodgy and causing the headshell to be moving at least 50mm from side to side, maybe more.

I also had one thicker and harder 12" (no sniggering at the back) that had two holes in the middle, like they missed the first one and had another go, rather like you would if you messed up with a hole punch and some paper wouldn't fit in your folder.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    I think 12" singles were generally more likely to be "off" in this way than an LP.
    The plastic being thinner may have had something to do with it, I don't know, but I can remember a couple being dodgy and causing the headshell to be moving at least 50mm from side to side, maybe more.

I also had one thicker and harder 12" (no sniggering at the back) that had two holes in the middle, like they missed the first one and had another go, rather like you would if you messed up with a hole punch and some paper wouldn't fit in your folder.
    50mm! Are you sure? That would 'wow' like mad and be virtually unlistenable.
    Barry

I'm Kai.

I have Mingus Plays the Piano (Jasmine UK pressing of unknown vintage) that's hideously out of center - to make matters worse, it's worse on the other side! That's the worst example I have and being piano music, it's unlisteneable as it is. I tried fixing it filing the center hole so I can center it manually, but being a bit pissed off when I was doing it the file slipped and I made a huge scratch that runs through the whole last song on one side... I have another one that's almost as bad, can't remember off the top of my head what it is though. I performed the file "fix" with better success on that one, but manually centering is a pain so I never listened it much, which probably explains why I don't remember what it is. On that one too, I think one side is worse than the other. There are others which are somewhat off center but I can't recall any which are bad enough to really bother.

I'm Ken.

I have a linear tracker and sit straight in front of it, so any sway is really noticeable.
    There is some movement on about a quarter of my vinyl, but nothing excessive, with maybe a handful moving 3 to 4mm in total.
    I have noticed where the hole is over sized this produces the same effect, as the spindle can sit off centre in the hole.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    50mm! Are you sure? That would 'wow' like mad and be virtually unlistenable.
    Look, you know how men tend to exaggerate ?
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Richie.

After reading this thread, I have just noticed the record I am listening to right now is WAY out. It's a recent pressing from a supposed quality label. I have had a few shit copies of new vinyl recently. One I sent back twice, because it was like a pringle. A limited release (100 ! Ha! I had two knackered copies).

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    After reading this thread, I have just noticed the record I am listening to right now is WAY out. It's a recent pressing from a supposed quality label. I have had a few shit copies of new vinyl recently. One I sent back twice, because it was like a pringle. A limited release (100 ! Ha! I had two knackered copies).
    At the price of new vinyl today, there is no excuse for poor quality!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dimitris.

50mm is way too much. That should be more than half the width of the readable surface

As for "limited", every underfunded release is labeled this way today. It probably means as much as "180 grams" these days
    Their price has nothing to do with quality, and all to do with small production quantities.

I cannot remember any off-center records on my racks, but I have many that are wavy
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Russell.

Warped records are another thing indeed! It's real depressing when you play a new record that is wavy, old ones can get that way from improper storage, etc. but they were probably in a hurry at the factory and didn't let it cool before putting it in the sleeve, when you buy them warped. Or shipped improperly? In a hot truck maybe? But I've got a new record flattener, I discovered quite by accident! I just lay the warped album on top of my Krell amp, and as soon as it flattens out I move it to a flat shelf! Fixed in 5 minutes flat! (Pun not intended)

I've got a few, not many, but my Jethro Tull Aqualung has been warped for 35 years! But no more, saved me from buying a new copy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast