+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eccentric Records, do you have any?

I'm Russell.

Default Eccentric Records, do you have any?

Gentlemen, I was thinking back to a disagreement I had on another forum several years ago, about eccentric records. No, it's not a new recording company, (but may be a great name for one!), I mean records that are out of round. Or more precisely, the hole is not exactly in the center.

This forum I was on at the time, related to a turntable website, had mostly European members. And they were all going on about all of the records they owned that were off center. And how well different record players, or tone arms I guess, Handled the issue better. I butted into the conversation and asked exactly how many of these out of round records did they have? One gent said he had maybe 25%! Others claimed the same. Some said more! When I said I lived in the States, and none of my records were off center, they called me a liar! I swore that i was not making this up, and supposed that perhaps the pressing machines in the US were newer? Or in better shape? I had at least 6 people try to explain to me exactly what they meant, and I told them, I've never seen my tonearm swaying from side to side more than a mm if that much, maybe one if any.

So, anyway, since most of you are across the pond, I was wondering if this was true? Is eccentric records something you have to deal with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Got loads of them. Never used to bother me now it is unacceptable to me. Don't know what that's about. Age thing, probably. It's 2017 so I'm not putting up with wobbly pitch anymore, there's no need to. Bought them again on CD. A decent pressing you shouldn't see anything moving of the arm, not even a little bit. No up and down, no side to side. Should look like it is doing nothing. Got a few of them but too few.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Does the Best of Tiny Tim qualify?

I'm James.

I just have one.

''It's A Mod, Mod World'' by the Small Faces. Not sure who pressed it, nothing to say as much on the Sleeve or the Record.

The quality of the recordings (all Live) is so poor I can't hear any ill effects and so it doesn't bother me. The Music itself is great though!!

Jim.

I'm Paul.

I have a copy of this - does it count ??

Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Colin.

Like this?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Can't say I have any records where the hole is not centred, but I do have one or two where the label in the middle is off-centre.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Yes, Reggae Jamaican presses are renowned for being a bit crude sometimes.
    I have a JA press 7inch where you can see the record swaying in and out.
    Same goes for Dennis Brown's 'Loves Gotta Hold on Me' (US press reggae album actually) - A great album but every copy I've had does the same thing. I've decided that all the original press copies must be the same It's a shame

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I just have one.

''It's A Mod, Mod World'' by the Small Faces. Not sure who pressed it, nothing to say as much on the Sleeve or the Record.

The quality of the recordings (all Live) is so poor I can't hear any ill effects and so it doesn't bother me. The Music itself is great though!!

Jim.
    That's by Squire, not the small faces. On an LP I believe, 'Mods Mayday',nice tune, but lyrics are somewhat vapid.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    That's by Squire, not the small faces. On an LP I believe, 'Mods Mayday',nice tune, but lyrics are somewhat vapid.
    Squire you say?

I obviously cannot read..........................WP_20170307_001.jpg

Jim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast