+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tonearm & cartridge matching

I'm Paul.

Default Tonearm & cartridge matching

HI all

Could some explained in simple beginners terms about how tonearm and cartridges are matched.

My tonearm a Thorens TP-16 Mk1 has an effective mass of 16.5g, what does that mean and how is it used

I have four cartridges

Audio Technica AT91
    Audio Technica AT95E
    Ortofon M15 Super 1
    Denon DL-110

How do the above carts compare when used with my Tonearm how do I work it all out.

In simple noobie speak if possible please.

Thanks

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only thing to be aware when matching a cartridge to the arm, is to try and get the low frequency resonance of the combination to lay in the range 8 - 12Hz. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...idge-resonance

The effective mass of a tone arm is a measure of how it responds to movement by the cartridge. (Strictly speaking, the effective mass is the second moment of inertia of the arm about the arm's pivot, divided by the square of the effective arm length.)

Imagine a farm gate on hinges. If you try to open it by pushing near the hinge, you will find it harder than if you pushed the gate at the far end. This is because the effective mass of the gate is high near the hinge, and low at the far end. But both of them are lower than the dead weight of the gate (that is, if you try to lift the gate off its hinges).

Arms can be divided into those that are regarded as having low effective mass (< 10g), those of intermediate mass (say 10 - 20g) and those having high effective mass (> 20g).

Cartridges, depending on their compliance values can be divided into those having low values (< 10cu), intermediate (10 - 20cu), and high compliance (>20cu).

Low compliance cartridges should be matched to high mass arms, and high compliance cartridges to low mass arms.

A simple way to check that the arm/cartridge resonance frequency lays within the desirable range of 8 - 12Hz, is to multiply the cartridge compliance (in cu) by the total mass (mass of the cartridge + effective mass of the arm + mass of the cartridge/headshell fixings (if used)).
    If this product has a value laying in the range 175 - 400 , then the arm/cartridge resonance lays in the 'safe' zone of 8 - 12Hz.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Taking figures from vinylengine.com and elsewhere, and assuming an effective mass for your arm of 16.5g, I calculate the low-frequency resonance for the various cartridge and arm combinations to be:

AT91: 9.3 - 10.8Hz

AT95E: 9.4 - 10.8Hz

M15 Super: 6.27Hz

Denon 110: 8.6 - 10Hz.

All should be suitable, apart from the Ortofon M15 Super, as the low frequency resonance value for this combination is too low.

I'm assuming you are using a Thorens suspended suspension turntable (TD150 or 160?), so you could well experience problems from footfalls if you choose to use the Ortofon cartridge. It does depend on what your deck is sitting on, but I would advise caution.
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Thank for all the replies.

And Barry yes it's a TD-160 and yes it did suffer from footfall issues, which I put down to being down to the Edwardian Flooring and was awaiting delivery of a wall shelf to help resolve

Didn't have clue it could down to the cartridge

Thanks again guys

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Russell.

Most informative! I've learned a few things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread