+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Grant mains leads

I'm john.

Well i have 3 DSP 2.5 power leads coming for mark on Saturday..see how they perform

jon

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I only need one and that's fine..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm john.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I only need one and that's fine..
    It is alright for somecheap do

jon

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but what do people use/are their views on power conditioners/filters?
    I've used a PS Audio Powerplant Premier for a while now (and previous generations too). I would never be without it. In my view, power regeneration is mandatory when your system reaches a certain level of performance and beats any other component upgrade hands-down for the money. Dynamics, noise floor, dimensionality all improve tremendously.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    Thanks Marco, that probably explains why it looked like it wasn't connected. I'll double check but it's probably just Marks super attention to detail that's throwing me off.

Has anyone compared Marks cable to one made out of Belden 83803 cable? Like THIS one for example.

Cheers.
    I bought exactly the one pictured. Questions on it's apparent negative effect in my system elicited the response from Marco that the 'hardened' high frequencies were probably a trait of the cable. I subsequently tried the Mark Grants and it proved to be the case; the MG's ( I now have three) gave a refined top end and reintroduction of the Belden emphasised the leading edges, killed the instrument tone and returned the forced, CD sound.

But make no mistake, the difference between these cables is so marked that it's quite unfair to even compare them.

The Belden was like upsampling to me, which I just can never settle with. It's the forced leading edges at the expense of soundstage and tone.

The RA Yello was my standard reference and my complete cable loom for many years. I think it was forgiving with some less able components than I have now and seemed to enhance a more natural sound. Now I rather hear them limiting ambience, detail and musical flow (they certainly squash the sound more than my beloved Vertex Jaya).

Introducing the Mark Grant power leads has been educational. It has enhanced the strengths of my system whilst adding a balance and naturalness that just sounds so right. The sound is becoming more open, 3-dimensional and liquid with each one I add. It's a wonderful tool!

Anyone want to buy my Belden 83803 before I put it on the kettle?
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Dave.

Thanks Steve, I'll steer clear of the Belden leads.

I liked what my existing MG power cable did when I added it to my AV, amp so based on that and what everyone else is saying it seems a sensible idea to roll out the MG's across my whole system.

That's where I run into a problem though. I want to keep the number of connections in my power cabling to a minimum for obvious performance reasons. So I've wondered about using THESE "Hydra" plugs to allow me to group equipment together into a smaller number of plugs. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they offer any sonic benefits?

If so I'll have to ask Mark if he can make me some custom Hydra leads.

Thanks.

P.S. On the subject of my earthed braiding question, I checked my MG cable and it does look like the braid is connected to earth. Mark has used some green and yellow earthing coloured shrink wrap to keep the braid bonded to the earth wire. Very tidy indeed. I also love the way he's used silver solder to fix the wires to the screw terminals. That will really help the cable last a lifetime. Very nice workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    I bought exactly the one pictured. Questions on it's apparent negative effect in my system elicited the response from Marco that the 'hardened' high frequencies were probably a trait of the cable. I subsequently tried the Mark Grants and it proved to be the case; the MG's ( I now have three) gave a refined top end and reintroduction of the Belden emphasised the leading edges, killed the instrument tone and returned the forced, CD sound.

But make no mistake, the difference between these cables is so marked that it's quite unfair to even compare them.

The Belden was like upsampling to me, which I just can never settle with. It's the forced leading edges at the expense of soundstage and tone.

The RA Yello was my standard reference and my complete cable loom for many years. I think it was forgiving with some less able components than I have now and seemed to enhance a more natural sound. Now I rather hear them limiting ambience, detail and musical flow (they certainly squash the sound more than my beloved Vertex Jaya).

Introducing the Mark Grant power leads has been educational. It has enhanced the strengths of my system whilst adding a balance and naturalness that just sounds so right. The sound is becoming more open, 3-dimensional and liquid with each one I add. It's a wonderful tool!

Anyone want to buy my Belden 83803 before I put it on the kettle?
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

That's *exactly* what they do, Steve, so I'm glad that I helped you identify it and also eradicate the effect from your system. Most Belden cables, unfortunately, seem to have this type of sonic signature - the speaker cables are the same, hence why I now use VDH 'The Wind', which is very good indeed, and in a totally different class to the Belden stuff. The VDH is one example of 'high-end' speaker cable that's definitely worth the money. It also synergises really well with the G1000HDs

Anyway, I'm glad that the Mark Grant mains leads worked out, too - those are better value for money than even the G1000HDs, and as such offer higher SPPV again - quite frankly, EVERY system should have some. It's one of the easiest recommendations I could make! Here's a picture of the £800 Transparents they retired without breaking much sweat:

Cheerio, Transparents

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Yes the ashes you can see in the Chimnea are from the Transparents he burnt earlier
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    Yes the ashes you can see in the Chimnea are from the Transparents he burnt earlier

How many as he got?

jon

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    quite frankly, EVERY system should have some. It's one of the easiest recommendations I could make!
    I ordered a 2.5 model today, I'll report back when it arrives. If you're wrong, you pay the next meal. (if you're right, too, btw)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast