+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dauntless's Bibs and Bobs.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    as you can see some WAF does apply in this residence! Some hifi kit causes more problems here. For instance interconnect in knicker draws is a hanging offense
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nice, neat system you have there Michael.

However, since you are already using balanced line interconnects to the power amps, why don't you move each monoblock power amp to be adjacent to the speaker? That way you can reduce the length of the speaker cable to be much less than a metre (maybe as short as 6"). That is what I have done.
    Yes, I did think about that at the time but decided against that approach as I would have had to increase the length of the interconnects. The power amps sitting in the middle of the speakers seems a nice balance to me. There are no children in the house so it works ok for us. I can see the benefit of that approach though.

I'm Michael.

Default Dauntless's Bibs and Bobs.

Got some new speakers, Cambridge Audio's Aeromax 6 floorstanders.
    The interesting part is the BMR driver which covers a massive 200hz up to 20,000hz and all from a 2'' diameter unit. The other point of interest is the bass units as they only have to cover from 30 to 200hz so more specialized bass units can be used rather than the more usual bass/mid. The speakers are easy to drive with 90db output.
    I worried that the 2'' BMR unit wouldn't be up to the job but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the units at all.
    The strengths of the speaker show with vocals with very good stereo performance and smooth 'static like repro. No ruff edges
    The bass is smooth ( at 30+cm's from rear wall ) and in my room I don't seem to need the supplied bungs. Got them set up with one of my A500'S at the moment and they sound nice but I will try them with some of my more expensive class A amps soon. I was listening to some Paul Simon cd's last night. 'Still Crazy After All These Years' is one Cd that used to sound a little bland but last night it sounded much more exciting through the Aeromax's. So overall a good result so far. Pictures to follow.

Last edited by struth; 21-04-2017 at 16:00.

I'm Dennis.

I've just suggested the same thing to my friend with two benchmark amps and some very expensive JBLs, and because the speaker current is so much higher it seems to make sense.

He also found it better to bi-amp as I suggested than to use them in bridged mode.

I'm Martin.

I've so nearly bought some of these a few times as the BMR interests me - getting one driver to run smoothly over those frequencies in theory solves a lot of problems, you don't need a 3 way speaker with the added complexity - same as some JBL but the compression driver they use is expensive. Got too many speakers already, though.

I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about how they sound once you have put some time in with them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Yes, I've been curious for a while about those BMR drivers. Almost bought a pair of the standmounts a while back for my 2nd system but something else came along. Would be very interesting to hear some - but failing that, as Macca says, more comments on the sq would be most welcome!

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, I've been curious for a while about those BMR drivers. Almost bought a pair of the standmounts a while back for my 2nd system but something else came along. Would be very interesting to hear some - but failing that, as Macca says, more comments on the sq would be most welcome!
    Listened to some Classical last night ( Shostakovich, then some Bizet ) The striking thing is the stereo and no part being exaggerated, all playing nice and clear with good dynamics. I will try some other amps with them and let you know.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've so nearly bought some of these a few times as the BMR interests me - getting one driver to run smoothly over those frequencies in theory solves a lot of problems, you don't need a 3 way speaker with the added complexity - same as some JBL but the compression driver they use is expensive. Got too many speakers already, though.

I'd be interested in hearing a bit more about how they sound once you have put some time in with them.
    I took the A500 out a few weeks ago and put the Monarchys back in wired as mono's. I'm liking the Aeromax 6's very much with all types of music. The BMR drivers are nice and smooth and give a good perspective to the sound. The dynamics are good and they don't screech during crescendo during classical. I would say that their strengths are in stereo presentation with a solid block between speakers and their ability to work well at low volumes. I find myself listening at lower volumes in general as I don't need to increase the volume to hear the low level detail. They are fitted with bass woofers rather than bass mids and this shows in the bass which is nicely detailed. All in all a very happy buy at a decent price with good WAF. I've got the speakers around 25cm from the rear walls and I don't need the foam bungs supplied with the speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12