+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Radford ZD100 power amplifier, ‘Zero Distortion’ range, quite rare

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Radford ZD100 power amplifier, ‘Zero Distortion’ range, quite rare

Been having quite a bit of fun with this, indeed it’s probably the best solid state amp I’ve ever heard in my system (and that includes a Krell KSA50). But now it's time to pass it on.

Radford ZD100 power amp from the mid-70s, four mosfets per channel. The specs claim a truly astonishing 0.004% maximum total harmonic distortion at both 1khz and 10khz, qualified as ‘typically' 0.0015% which I suspect is barely within the limits of measurement. Intermodulation distortion less than 0.01%. The ‘zero distortion' tag comes from the fact that the entire range, power, pre and integrated, shows measured distortion below circuit noise level.

Power is 90w into 8 ohms, 150w into 4 ohms. Input sensitivity is 1V so unless your sources are fairly high gain, it probably needs a preamp with some gain in it rather than a passive (it sounds very good indeed with the EAR 912).

How does it sound? Well actually, quite a lot like a Radford valve amp. Natural rather than exaggerated or artificial highs, detailed but also punchy midrange, the biggest difference is in the bass quality which is stunning, in terms of both grip and depth.

I really ought to keep it, but I have three power amps at the moment (Radford STA100, EAR 861 and this one) and I don’t really need three.

Comes (amazingly) in its original 70s box (I have an outer box sorted for it to protect this)with both a printed multi-page data sheet and the technical instructions/installation and advanced maintenance booklet. Time-warp condition with barely a mark on it, and freshly serviced in February (including some parts replaced and rebiasing). There probably isn’t a better one out there.

Probably suit a valve lover who needs more welly than valves can generally provide without getting all bulky and hot.

I’m looking for Ł450 including courier for this, Ł425 if you can collect from Bracknell area. It's a crazy sonic bargain at that.

Last edited by montesquieu; 04-03-2017 at 20:28.

+ Reply to Thread