+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get a "load" of this

I'm Will.

Default Get a "load" of this

Decided I needed a better test load, so I built one.

A bit more versatile than just a big resistor on some binding posts, it has a few features:

• Two completely independent channels, optionally paralleled with a switch
    • Each channel switchable between 3.75, 7.5, 15 and 30 ohms
    • BNC outputs for monitoring as well as 10:1 attenuated BNCs for all outputs
    • Outputs include a direct singled ended monitor, as well as two separately earthed outputs to monitor bridged amplifiers or perform impedance measurements with the load in series with the DUT.
    • Chassis earth brought out to a post to earth to where is strategic for the particular testing situation if noise issues crop up.

Each resistor is 50W rated and the heatsinks were salvaged from an old MOSFET PA amp. I don't intend to run the resistors near their power rating, if I did I would probably point a big fan at the thing.

The attenuated outputs have an output-Z of approx 900 ohms but this shouldn't pose an issue with a short run of coax to a scope or audio interface.

Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Grant.

Now thats a bit of kit. No holds barred quality.you could start a line of those
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Neat. Like it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Now thats a bit of kit. No holds barred quality.you could start a line of those
    Thank you

If I was making them for someone else I would do a few things a little differently - for one I would screw the resistors to the heatsink and use heatsink compound as opposed to using thermal glue
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Nathan.

I want one of those on my bench. It would save me a ton of time hooking up jumpers, and searching for adapters and probes.

Nice work!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    I want one of those on my bench. It would save me a ton of time hooking up jumpers, and searching for adapters and probes.

Nice work!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    Indeed, it makes ones life much easier. This was long overdue.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Alan.

Nice construction and great heatsinking. I like a good heatsink

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Nice construction and great heatsinking. I like a good heatsink
    They should do the trick, I have no idea what their capacity is but I don't intend to drive this too hard anyway!
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Nigel.

Very nicely designed and put together.

I would happily pay for one of those. It almost looks as if it should have Tektronix stamped on the front panel.

If it were mine I would probably add a switched 2 µF capacitor to each channel to test amplifier stability, and possibly a moving coil meter to provide a rough indication of the amplifier's power output.

I'm Alan.

Excellent job Will and a very useful bit of kit

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast