+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: capacitor question?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
    Hi, yes ground at one end. Is that correct?
    That's probably what I'd do. But I'd try it unearthed as well to see if there'd be any discernible difference.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's probably what I'd do. But I'd try it unearthed as well to see if there'd be any discernible difference.
    All this opens another 'can of worms': can shielding tape be used without grounding? (anyone). I've only seen grounding on braided earth wire, not tape?
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm paul.

...interesting that the best JB JSX caps finish in price is were the Mundorf Mcap MKP starts and goes on to hundreds per cap. Does this show the Mundorf superiority, or are mundorf purely praying on the naive hobbyists?

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Geoff.

All this opens another 'can of worms': can shielding tape be used without grounding? (anyone). I've only seen grounding on braided earth wire, not tape?
    I can't see why it would make any difference. You could earth either.

Should I choose to do this, I personally would put thin teflon sleeving on the capacitor wires and then screen with copper foil or braid. At least that can have wires soldered to it for earthing connections.

Desoldering braid is thin, made of copper and often tubular. I have some that would be ideal as a narrow screening braid.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

OK opinions, not evidence. Do you think the humble report is worthless and why? http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
    No, I don't think it's worthless but it is just more subjective evaluation and probably won't help you unless you are prepared to use something based on a subjective opinion you have read on a website.

How can a screen work if it isn't earthed?

Same question - how can a screen work if it isn't earthed?

I can't see why it would make any difference. You could earth either.

Should I choose to do this, I personally would put thin teflon sleeving on the capacitor wires and then screen with copper foil or braid. At least that can have wires soldered to it for earthing connections.

Desoldering braid is thin, made of copper and often tubular. I have some that would be ideal as a narrow screening braid.
    One possible source of braided copper for shielding is to use the braided screen from co-ax cable. It's possible to remove the outer insulation (though you might be better off not removing it) and pull out the center conductor if the cable isn't very long. Some cable is easier to work with than others.

However, all this talk of messing about with screening mesh etc. is probably getting way off what is actually required and over-complicating something that should be very simple.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No, I don't think it's worthless but it is just more subjective evaluation and probably won't help you unless you are prepared to use something based on a subjective opinion you have read on a website.
    How can a screen work if it isn't earthed?
    Same question - how can a screen work if it isn't earthed?
    One possible source of braided copper for shielding is to use the braided screen from co-ax cable. It's possible to remove the outer insulation (though you might be better off not removing it) and pull out the center conductor if the cable isn't very long. Some cable is easier to work with than others.
    However, all this talk of messing about with screening mesh etc. is probably getting way off what is actually required and over-complicating something that should be very simple.
    Clearly you are something of a guru on the Audio front! My mind is beginning to boggle at all the aspects to take into consideration. My secondhand DAC has clearly had several previous owners who have all swapped out parts: e.g.

1) Input power wiring upgraded to cast copper silver plated with Teflon dielectric.
    2) Power board dc filter now a Mundorf Supreme (Panasonic removed).
    3) Both transformers placed on Neoprene sheets to remove casework resonance.
    4) DC filter cap from power board to output board now a Multicap.
    5) Dac board supported with a military foam (as used to remove noise in tanks) to prevent vibration.
    6) Output capacitors now TRT Dynamicap 5uf (up from the 3,7uF after direct discussions with Cary Audio). Improves bass response (Panasonics removed).
    7) Output bypass caps now Rel-Cap TRT Teflon (were Wima originally I think).
    8) Output tubes now NOS Mullard 6922 Pearl Cryo Gold Grade Plus (matched and balanced) – costly upgrade.
    9) Herbies tube dampeners.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***************************

1) Internal power cable to the mains board has been upgraded to cast stranded copper with PTFE insulation.
    2) Earth cable upgraded to solid core copper PTFE insulated.
    3) Transformers dampened with Dynamat Extreme.
    4) DC filter cap upgraded from the cheapo Panasonic type to Mundorf Supreme,
    5) Power cable from the power board to the output board upgraded to solid core copper PTFE wrapped.
    6) Dac board support with an acoustic type from used in military tanks. Same foam used as support stilts for the power and output board.
    7) Signal wires from the dac board to output board upgraded to pure cast solid silver, PTFE wrapped and shielded cable.
    8) On the output board, 10 electrolytic caps have been upgraded from Panasonic to Elna Silmic.
    9) The Wima bypass caps were removed and upgraded to RelCap polystyrene caps.
    10) Output capacitors were upgraded from Panasonic types to Modwright Oil capacitors (larger uF as suggested by Cary themselves - better bass!).
    11) AMR fuse upgrade.
    12) Output tubes upgraded to Reflector Military types with Herbie dampeners.

So, I was wondering if you could possibly 'give it the once over' and see if it is optimal in its current state OR if there are any 'improvements' that can be made that would give more "middle, richer, deeper, 3D, spatial detail"; 'enhancements', OR find that it is already at its optimal specification?

You are clearly an expert in these matters and I would appreciate your hands on help to 'ring every last drop out of this design'. (?)

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

RothwellAudio Guest

Clearly you are something of a guru on the Audio front!

You are clearly an expert in these matters and I would appreciate your hands on help to 'ring every last drop out of this design'. (?)
    You're very kind but I don't make any claims to be a guru or expert on anything.
    Yes, it sounds like your DAC has had plenty of modifications carried out, most of which seem to be swapping capacitors for more expensive capacitors or wires for more expensive wires. Maybe one more capacitor swap will rescue it from being "all bass and treble" but I honestly don't know what capacitors to recommend that would do that.

I'm Simon.

I'd suggest an output buffer stage that is load tolerant would be a start. Swapping caps is just a band aid for the technically insufficient.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I'd suggest an output buffer stage that is load tolerant would be a start. Swapping caps is just a band aid for the technically insufficient.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    You're very kind but I don't make any claims to be a guru or expert on anything.
    Yes, it sounds like your DAC has had plenty of modifications carried out, most of which seem to be swapping capacitors for more expensive capacitors or wires for more expensive wires. Maybe one more capacitor swap will rescue it from being "all bass and treble" but I honestly don't know what capacitors to recommend that would do that.
    Thanks Andrew, no harm in asking - right? Thanks for being honest with me: "I honestly don't know". I like it when people are straight with me, no bullshit!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast