+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Diffraction elimination

I'm ChrisB.

Jim,
    I'm glad you've posted today because I've been meaning to ask you about the possibility of trying out your little wonders on my speakers.

I have a pair of Mirage M3si's and don't know if it's possible to remove the grilles - I've tried..........by God, I've tried, but I can't work out how to do it!

They have really wide front baffles & I know what this can to do to treble frequencies. One of the reasons I went for my last speakers was that, despite being tall & wide floorstanders, they have a narrow face that the tweeter & mid driver are mounted on & that seemed to make a big difference in the imaging (pictures here.... http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...?t=2175&page=2)

The Mirages throw a huge soundstage & do all sorts of things that I love, but I can't help thinking that there's something missing in the detail of that image & the positioning of the players within it.

So, a couple of questions:
    1. Do you think that your brand of 'fluffy delights' could help me out in this area?
    2. Do you have any experience of working with these speakers - & if so how the hell do you get those bloody drivers exposed?

Cheers

Chris- Thanks for your inquiry. Unsuccessfully tried to google some info on your model speak. You can see at the Mirage site that they are going in a different direction these days but here is something for you to consider. Wide baffles dispose diffracted waveforms to arrive later in time so they are spread out and less invasive to what is being delivered on time. Spendor and Harbeth have maintained wide baffles over the years and Harbeth goes a step further by reducing the output some in the part of the frequency range that would be effected. When waveforms are reradiated by a speaker's baffle and edges they are being added to what we hear and will generally cause a boost to our frequency response in the lower bandpass of our tweeters. I believe it is Harbeth's intent to address that and to delay the arrival of diffracted waveforms in the former because the late arriving information will be out of time and phase. Your old speakers in that photo have their sides canted back. They should image with more precision altho not as well as if the surface and baffle edges adjacent to your tweeter were non reflective.
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 15-06-2009 at 22:13.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678