+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diffraction elimination

jandl100- Thought I would give you the information I think you need right here in front of God and all these POTENTIAL BUYERS here in the forum. It’s how I market. Never said I was the quiet type.

The large pads for your mid drivers should fit admirably and in keeping with your requirement to be able to return your grilles. The small pads for your vertical ribbons are more interesting. I’m hopeful that you have as much room between your mid driver and your tweet as it appears in the pictures. I want both drivers to be able to be precisely centered in the cutouts. In case I overshot it, you can trim a little of the bottom of the surrounds for your tweets. This wool, unlike what I normally use, is pretty manageable with a good pair of scissors. Not really knowing how wide to make the cutout for your ribbons, I included a couple of bars that can be tucked inside of the vertical walls without adhesion to narrow the width of the slot for you to play with. I’m thinking they may be desirable but you can be the judge.

I enjoyed making these for you. I hope they help make your system communicate music more directly.

Jim
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 26-03-2008 at 04:38.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm gone.

.... have you shipped them yet?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I see you've ordered a set Jerry - you'll not be disappointed mate.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm sure he won't be, and let's see some nice pics and a full write-up of the product (in the Strokes of Genius section) when it arrives

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I see you've ordered a set Jerry - you'll not be disappointed mate.
    yes, it'll be interesting to see what the pads do ..... I must confess I'm having some trouble integrating my new ProAcs into my room. Imaging is a bit big and blowsy for my tastes.

I don't think it's the speakers themselves, just the way I prefer to have speakers set up - for various reasons I fire them across the width of the room, not down its length and the open baffle nature of the ProAc's mid and top is causing problems with being too near the rear wall, I think.

I'm not sure that Jim's pads will help much with that.

Open baffle designs are I think much happier firing along the length of a room, as the side-ways sound cancels out and you get a distinctive figure-8 radiation pattern. So they are good near side walls but not rear walls

I might try turning everything around by 90 degrees, but tbh I don't really want to do that!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ...I'm not sure that Jim's pads will help much with that. ...
    They work mainly in the mid and lower mid/upper bass area and really help to focus vocals and low mid transients (like snares etc). However I did notice a marked improvement in imaging although it was more than likely to do with the act of decongesting the mid/low mid/upper bass rather than outright problem solving.

Still, you'll be impressed and they may just do the trick. Certainly I will never go back.

And no, Jim doesn't pay me to say nice things about his product - it's simply an outstanding product.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    They work mainly in the mid and lower mid/upper bass area and really help to focus vocals and low mid transients
    Hmmm ... OK ... a bit of focussing in the mids might just do the trick!

Come on, Mr Trans-Atlantic Postman, get your finger out!!

Jerry- I wouldn't hesitate to move your speakers were it me.

I'm gone.

OK - speakers now rotated thru 90 degrees - see photo below (Cripes, what a mess! - I've tidied it up a bit since taking the photo ) and yes, it works! Imaging is good now, along with all the rest of the great things these speakers do. But what the hell do I do with the plasma screen now?

That's sorta how I have my own speakers set up minus the clutter. I have an open legged not bulky sofa table behind my speakers on which sits my digital front end and linestage. I bring my TT in when I listen to records and then take it out when I'm not. The more open the room to soundwave propagation, particularly the front end of the room, the better for the development of imaging and space in my experience. I can appreciate your concern for your widescreen TV and equipment rack on the side wall. Best of luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast