+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diffraction elimination

Jerry- Your point is well made and well taken. I don't know if there is a universal way of tuning the output of a speaker. Could be measured at one meter or three meters and it may not be the same for all designs, dunno. Some of the comments I receive do report a change in high frequency response. Response is not the right word, actually. High frequency response perception is more accurate. Less noise, more information about sums it up. And it's what that does that has earned respect for my not so little product. Many of their reports are online at the places I've talked about. Sources can be seen on the Blank Canvas thread.

In my avatar at the moment is a frequency measurement made by a speaker designer in the US named Danny Richie. I'm the blue line. He picked the speakers, not me. I also have one from a tweaker down under using DEQX on Dynaudio Special 25's. Same story. And one appears in an online review magazine named Stereomojo. Same thing, again. As you can see, there is no curtailment to the high end frequency measurement. There is, however, a smoothing of peaks and valleys around the crossover and a bit beyond. Might this be relevant?

I'm thinking that maybe Mr. Andrew's product may encroach too closely to the tweeter itself. I use a high grade of compressed wool myself for the quality of absorbency it yields. Some felt products are filled with synthetic fiber which would cut down the absorbency. That could be relevant. And, I sell with a guarantee so people are able to audition at home.

Cheers
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 21-03-2008 at 23:59.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm gone.

Thanks for the response, jdg. The RA felt ring was certainly a disaster for me (fortunately a cheap one!), but I am intrigued by your claims and Rob's good words about your goods. Below is a photo if my current speaker - ProAc Future point 5 - clearly not suitable for your 'shrouds' but do you think the ribbon tweeter and/or midrange unit might benefit from your 'wool surround' tweak? If so, I would be mighty interested ....

Jumpin Jerry- Yes, I think so. But that is a big think. Ribbons radiate horizonally rather than concentrically and I should want to come closer to it than my standard pad could be made to. Here's what I'm thinking. I have some remnants from a custom job I did for a customer using a wool saddle pad. I could make pads for your ribbon with slits wider and taller than the ribbons and pads to surround your mid drivers. You could try one or both. If you wanted me to do this I would just need to know the measurements of these drivers. I'll only charge you for my time and shipping cause the saddle pad was paid for by that customer. I will guarantee your purchase cause it interests me and I'm a sucker for a challenge. I would charge $45.00US to include shipping. If you would like to give it a whirl, just let me know. jim

What are those little beauties behind your Pro Ac's?
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 22-03-2008 at 00:00.

I'm gone.

OK, Texas Man ... let's do it. I'm a sucker for a challenge, too. I'll send you a PM to discuss those nitty gritty little personal details in a minute.

The slot for the ribbon is 2-1/4 x 3/4 inch (including depression for slight horn loading). The mid-range driver starts a further 2 inches southwards, and its baffle is 4-1/4 inches across. The speaker baffle width (under the grilles, which I would want to be able to use) is 6-1/2 inches and just under 1/2 inch deep. Is that enough info?

What's the method(s) for attaching said woolly widget to the speaker? (would need to be non-permanent, of course!)

Thnx Jim, in anticipation, Jerry

EDIT: an extra thought ... the tweeter and mid are open-baffle to the rear .....

___

The little cuties behind my new ProAc are an Elac Jet 300i ribbon hybrid (in white, now sold) and a Jim Rogers JR149 (a rather nice LS3/5a clone, an alumin(i)um cylinder! -which is currently up for sale).

Every now and then I try some small speakers ... but I should learn, they never really work out for me - I like my speakers with a bit more meat to them!
    Last edited by jandl100; 22-03-2008 at 07:38.

The slot for the ribbon is 2-1/4 x 3/4 inch (including depression for slight horn loading). The mid-range driver starts a further 2 inches southwards, and its baffle is 4-1/4 inches across. The speaker baffle width (under the grilles, which I would want to be able to use) is 6-1/2 inches and just under 1/2 inch deep. Is that enough info?

What's the method(s) for attaching said woolly widget to the speaker? (would need to be non-permanent, of course!)

[/QUOTE]

JJ- You state that the mid-range driver's "baffle" is 4.25" across (thanks for the convertion), do you mean the driver's mounting basket? If not, how wide is it? You state that the speaker baffle (under the grille) is 6.50" wide. That's all the way across, right? They will attach with postage stamp size removable Velcro tabs (mounting instructions included) that won't leave residue on your finish and, yes, you will be able to return your grilles. Please reconfirm. Thank you.

I remember those little beauties. You must be old as me. To pay me the sterling, go to my website www.diffractionbegone.com and on he second page you will see an order form. Kindly complete and submit using the submit button so we will both have a record. Then, arrow back to that page and click on the "quotes/pics" page tab. There you will see a BuyNow button to pay by PayPal or CC.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdgoulding View Post

JJ- You state that the mid-range driver's "baffle" is 4.25" across (thanks for the convertion), do you mean the driver's mounting basket? If not, how wide is it? You state that the speaker baffle (under the grille) is 6.50" wide. That's all the way across, right? They will attach with postage stamp size removable Velcro tabs (mounting instructions included) that won't leave residue on your finish and, yes, you will be able to return your grilles. Please reconfirm. Thank you.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, the driver mounting basket (i.e. the entire black area attached to the wood veneered baffle) is 4.5" across.

The space within the grille's frame, in which the "woolly widget" can be placed, is 6.5" wide.

That clear now?

OK - I will now attempt to navigate your website!

Jerry

Pah! sell them on ebay, it is so much easier.

Not exactly. I'm having a daft day. The diameter of your midrange cone's mounting basket , is it 4.25" or 4.50"? Six and a half inches is the width the pad should be, I got that.
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 23-03-2008 at 02:10.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdgoulding View Post
    Not exactly. I'm having a daft day. The diameter of your midrange cone's mounting basket , is it 4.25" or 4.50"?
    More careful measurement shows 4.3 inches across the horizontal & vertical dimensions and 4.8 inches across the diagonal. Does that help?
    Last edited by jandl100; 23-03-2008 at 07:36.

Yes, brother, I'm good to go. Your ship will be arriving soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast