+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Buyer's Guide to HiFi Secondhand Sales Adverts

I'm Peter.

Default A Buyer's Guide to HiFi Secondhand Sales Adverts

In the interests of educating the unwary, here's what you might see, and what they really mean ....

Light use since buying. Can't figure out how to operate it.
    I think this represents good value. I don't know how much to charge.
    Bought new recently, but circumstances force a quick sale. The credit card company are threatening court.
    Reduced for a quick sale. The bailiffs are here.
    Does not suit the decor of the new apartment. I can't stand any more complaints from my partner.
    Would suit a newbie. Everyone else knows it had a terrible reputation.
    Rare. They couldn't give them away when new.
    Esoteric. Made in a shed.
    Great reputation. Magazines were paid to shill it.
    Won european component of the year. Magazines were paid a lot to shill it.
    High-end. Way over-priced, when new.
    Classic kit. Found in a dumpster.
    Selling up due to new interests. I've come to my senses.
    Cutting-edge design. Unrepairable.
    Works well with most kit. But not with what you've got.
    (Foo) for sale. Hoping you are as gullible as I once was.
    Won't ship. It's already falling apart.
    PM me for further details. It's too embarrassing to put on the forum.
    Bought on this very forum. We've all had her.
    Last edited by petrat; 04-03-2017 at 08:06.

I'm Martin.

You forgot:

'From my smoke, child and pet-free home' - I'm a boring bastard with commitment issues

'I think this is a fair price' - Secretly I know I've got bob hope of getting this much for it but I'm the eternal optimist.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Ah well, might as well join another forum now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Interggrated amp and waffledale speakers........... I'm a knuckle dragging halfwit!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Tidy

- What the hell does Tidy mean in regards to condition Usually means its in poor nick.

I don't know how this works so untried, sold as spares or repair

- Usually means they know full well how it works and they know its stuffed.

Will be packed carefully

- Yeah right.

When buying anything these days I tell folks how to pack, step by step if they won't do it that way, my way, the best way (yep I know that sounds arrogant but I have years of experience packing so I know how to pack stuff) - I usually walk.

Other major annoyance folks you are trying to buy from, negotiations take place, you think the deal is done or well on the way to being done. They then tell you its sold. I could out a on here who did that to me a few years ago, in fact I did, I left bad feed back in the sellers section. Hope he doesn't mess anyone else about.

Oh yes and another one not mentioning issues with the item sold, then failing to reply to pms after its delivered, and the issues are seen. Actually just checked it was an email, not a pm.
    Regards Neil

I'm joe.

POA: I'm too lazy to think of a price

Heavily modded: Well-polished turd

A bit scruffy/Could do with some TLC: Falling to bits

See the many posts about this on this forum: Last month's flavour of the month

I'm Grant.

Got lots of speakers i could sell but they are oldish cabs and when they are older the joints pop easily. Doesnt mean there is anything intrinsically wrong with them. Think its too easy just to bunch everything together and make a thread like this up.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nathan.

Not Fake Real From Japan gets me burnt every time.

I've found some cool stuff by searching for solid state. They think that's the brand name sometimes.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Rearranged says real fake, not from japan . Ah the Engleesh language eh
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by nthall View Post
    Not Fake Real From Japan gets me burnt every time.

I've found some cool stuff by searching for solid state. They think that's the brand name sometimes.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
    LOL

Will work for late 60s early Seventies gear. For Eighties and early Nineties kit try searching for 'DIGITAL'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast