+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Super Gold

I'm Joerg.

Default Super Gold

Hello,

last week my London Decca Super Gold arrived. Yes, I'm fascinated by the sound. Coming from an MC I instantly noticed how loud it is. I had to turn back the volume immediately. After the first two records you could be tempted to think that this cartridge can be too much - too vivid and overwhelming, but that impression gets settled soon and you just enjoy the performance.

The build quality is a little on the DIY side at least visually, but that's quite charming too nowadays, isn't it? The cartridge moves in the Decca Pod if you fiddle with the headshell wires. I expected the pod to be fastened tightly to the cartridge.

The sound is incredible. I've got it set up on a SL-110 with a 12" Jelco. Wide soundstage, details I've never heard before and bass, a lot of it. Double bass sounds fantastic, electric bass too. Drums, snares, high hats - all there. But you also get a smoothness in playback which is really pleasant. Leonard Cohens picking on the guitar is reproduced very detailed. Can't wait to get Nick Drakes Five Leaves Left on vinyl.

One thing I noticed is that I get a slight hum when the cartrige gets nearer to the center of the spindle, but I can live with that. Perhaps someone has a workaround if there is one.

Joerg

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post
    Hello,

last week my London Decca Super Gold arrived. Yes, I'm fascinated by the sound. Coming from an MC I instantly noticed how loud it is. I had to turn back the volume immediately. After the first two records you could be tempted to think that this cartridge can be too much - too vivid and overwhelming, but that impression gets settled soon and you just enjoy the performance.

The build quality is a little on the DIY side at least visually, but that's quite charming too nowadays, isn't it? The cartridge moves in the Decca Pod if you fiddle with the headshell wires. I expected the pod to be fastened tightly to the cartridge.

The sound is incredible. I've got it set up on a SL-110 with a 12" Jelco. Wide soundstage, details I've never heard before and bass, a lot of it. Double bass sounds fantastic, electric bass too. Drums, snares, high hats - all there. But you also get a smoothness in playback which is really pleasant. Leonard Cohens picking on the guitar is reproduced very detailed. Can't wait to get Nick Drakes Five Leaves Left on vinyl.

One thing I noticed is that I get a slight hum when the cartrige gets nearer to the center of the spindle, but I can live with that. Perhaps someone has a workaround if there is one.

Joerg
    Deccas are susceptible to picking up motor hum.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Joerg.

Yes, I've read about that. It didn't effect my listening experience, at least I didn't hear any hum during playback.

+ Reply to Thread